WINTER PARK, Fla. – The Barry University men’s soccer team (4-3-0, 0-1-0) failed to claim a win in their first conference game of the season on Saturday evening when they fell 3-2 to the Rollins Tars.
Three was a charm for the Bucs in the first twelve minutes of the game as both Vuk Kojic and Henry Apaloo made Tars’ keeper Frazer Siddall earn his first two saves of the game. But it was Pedro Petris who collected the loose ball in the box and took a shot from inside the right post to score his third goal for the season.
Just ten minutes later Rollins answered back with the momentum from a corner kick from Thomas Makin. Rollins’ Jacob Deloach passed the ball from the left corner to Makin who crossed the ball into Thomas Biddinger. Biddinger headed the ball past the keeper to tie the game in the twenty-third minute. The Tars then got crafty just a few minutes following to find Tars’ Jon Gruenewald on the right wing for an open shot on Bucs’ keeper Devala Gorrick.
But the Bucs weren’t going to let that stop them. The seniors truly proved their experience and passion for their team and the game. Barry’s senior Mirza Halilbasic took an incredible shot with only three minutes left in the game that was saved by Rollins’ keeper Siddall, but was rebounded by Barry’s Henry Apaloo and Marcus Reynolds earned the goal for the Bucs to end the period.
In the second period, the Bucs were able to hold off the Tars up until the last ten minutes of the game. But it was a free kick from Gruenewald that ended the game to put Barry down 3-2.
The Bucs will return home to host Nova Southeastern on Wednesday, Sept. 19 at 7:00 pm.
Soccer Game Summary (Final)
2007 Barry University Soccer
Barry vs Rollins (09/15/07 at Winter Park, Fla.)
Barry (4-3-0, 0-1-0 SSC) vs. Rollins (5-2-0, 1-0-0 SSC)
Date: 09/15/07 Attendance: 449
Weather: partly cloudy, humid
Goals by period 1 2 Tot
Barry.................... 2 0 - 2
Rollins................ 2 1 - 3
1. 11:25 BUM Pedro Petris (3) (unassisted) - loose ball in box collected, shot inside right post
2. 23:02 RCM Thomas Biddinger (1) (Thomas Makin;Jacob Deloach) - short pass in left corner, cross by Makin, headed past keeper
3. 26:26 RCM Jon Gruenewald (2) (Leslie Osei;Dennis Chin) - clever play in midfield, finds Gruenewald on right wing for open shot
4. 41:52 BUM Marcus Reynolds (2) (Mirza Halilbasic;Henry Apaloo) - rebounded shot, touched to Reynolds for shot
5. 80:38 RCM Jon Gruenewald (3) (unassisted) - free kick from left side
Shots: Barry 15, Rollins 10
Saves: Barry 2 (Devala Gorrick 2), Rollins 5 (Frazer Siddall 5)