MIAMI SHORES, Fla.—The Barry women’s tennis team won its fourth straight match this week with an 8-1 win over the Brandeis Judges at the Buccaneer Tennis Center on Sunday.
The Bucs (6-1) took all three doubles. The 13th-ranked team of Ildiko Csordas and Angie Werschel defeated Rachel Rosman and Colleen Donnelly 8-4 at number one. New team Caroline Stevens and Helen Wisneiwski shutout Mackenzie Gallegos and Gabrielle Helfgott 8-0, while Olivia Lilien and Berit Peterson handled Ana Katz and Jennifer Levine 8-3 at number three.
Most singles matches were not close. Tenth-ranked Csordas dispatched Rosman 6-2, 6-0 at the top spot and Stevens beat Donnelly 6-1, 6-0 at number two.
With Werschel stepping out of singles, everyone else moved up the ladder. Wisniewski handled Helfgott 6-2, 6-1 at number four and at number five Lilien mowed down Sanai 6-3, 6-2.
The Judges (4-2) picked up their only point at number six singles. Laime Contreras lost the first set 7-5 to Katz, but bounced back to split sets with a 6-1 win in set two. With the team match already decided, the pair played a super tiebreaker for the point,with Katz coming away with an 11-9 win.
The Bucs next host the Florida Tech Panthers on Monday, Feb. 25 at 2:00 pm.
Tennis Match Results
Brandeis vs Barry
2/24/2008 at Miami Shores, Fla.
(Buccaneer Tennis Center)
#16 Barry 8, Brandeis 1
1. #10 Ildiko Csordas (BUW) def. Rachel Rosman (BRW) 6-2, 6-0
2. Caroline Stevens (BUW) def. Colleen Donnelly (BRW) 6-1, 6-0
3. Helen Wisniewski (BUW) def. Gabrielle Helfgott (BRW) 6-2, 6-1
4. Berit Peterson (BUW) def. Mackenzie Gallegos (BRW) 6-2, 6-1
5. Olivia Lilien (BUW) def. Ariana Sanai (BRW) 6-3, 6-2
6. Ana Katz (BRW) def. Laime Contreras (BUW) 7-5, 1-6, 11-9
1. #13 Ildiko Csordas/Angie Werschel (BUW) def. Rachel Rosman/Colleen Donnelly (BRW) 8-4
2. Caroline Stevens/Helen Wisniewski (BUW) def. Mackenzie Gallegos/Gabrielle Helfgott (BRW) 8-0
3. Olivia Lilien/Berit Peterson (BUW) def. Ana Katz/Jennifer Levine (BRW) 8-3
Barry 6-1; National ranking #16