MIAMI SHORES, Fla.—The seventh-ranked Barry Buccaneers ran the table in the Sunshine State Conference with a 6-3 win over the 14th-ranked Florida Southern Moccasins in men’s tennis action at the Buccaneer Tennis Center on Saturday.
The win gives the Bucs a perfect 6-0 mark in the SSC, clinching the regular-season title and the top seed at the SSC Tournament coming up April 17-20 in Tampa, Fla.
The Bucs (12-3, 6-0 SSC) took two of three doubles. Top pair Patrick Rittenauer and Ales Svigelj defeated FSC’s Michael Knoedler and Roman Schirmaier 8-5 at number one, while at number three, Andrew Sharnov and Roman Werschel handled Clifford Johnson and Greg Heartt 8-2. The Mocs (10-4, 1-2 SSC) picked up their point at number two. Alex Thesleff and Guenther Fercher edged Emmanuel Fraitzl and Jakub Fejfar 8-6.
In singles, the Mocs quickly reversed the score with wins at the top two flights with identical 6-2, 6-4 scores. Number 11 Knoedler defeated #12 Rittenauer at number one and Schirmaier took Svigelj at number two.
But the Bucs’ depth told out the rest of the way. Sharnov, ranked #43, handled Johnson 6-3, 6-3 at number five and Manuel Lauter made it 4-3 Barry with a 6-2, 6-4 win over J.J Bolock at number six.
The final two matches both went three sets, with the Bucs rallying back from first-set losses in both matches. At number four, FSC’s Justin LaFlamme took the first set from #49 Werschel 6-4, but the Buccaneer came back to win the final two sets 7-5, 6-4.
Fraitzl prevailed at number three with the match already decided, beating Thesleff 4-6, 6-0, 7-6 (5).
The Bucs will travel to Texas next weekend for a trio of matches.
Tennis Match Results
Florida Southern vs Barry
3/29/2008 at Miami Shores, Fla.
(Buccaneer Tennis Center)
#7 Barry 6, #14 Florida Southern 3
1. #11 Michael Knoedler (FSM) def. #12 Patrick Rittenauer (BUM) 6-2, 6-4
2. Roman Schirmaier (FSM) def. Ales Svigelj (BUM) 6-2, 6-4
3. Emmanuel Fraitzl (BUM) def. Alex Thesleff (FSM) 4-6, 6-0, 7-6 (7-5)
4. #49 Roman Werschel (BUM) def. Justin LaFlamme (FSM) 4-6, 7-5, 6-4
5. #43 Andrew Sharnov (BUM) def. Clifford Johnson (FSM) 6-3, 6-3
6. Manuel Lauter (BUM) def. J.J. Bolock (FSM) 6-2, 6-4
1. Patrick Rittenauer/Ales Svigelj (BUM) def. Michael Knoedler/Roman Schirmaier (FSM) 8-5
2. Alex Thesleff/Guenther Fercher (FSM) def. Emmanuel Fraitzl/Jakub Fejfar (BUM) 8-6
3. Andrew Sharnov/Roman Werschel (BUM) def. Clifford Johnson/Greg Heartt (FSM) 8-2
Florida Southern 10-4, 1-2 SSC; National ranking #14
Barry 12-3, 6-0 SSC; National ranking #7