MIAMI SHORES, Fla.—The top-seeded Barry Buccaneers defeated #4 Flagler College Saints 5-0 in the semifinals of the 2009 NCAA Division II South Region I Men’s Tennis Tournament on Friday at the Buccaneer Tennis Center.
“I think this was a good match for us,” Barry head coach George Samuel said. “It got us started back into the competition mode after a two-week layoff since conference. Now, we’re excited about playing the winner of the other semifinal tomorrow in the championship.”
The Bucs (23-2) grabbed a quick lead in doubles with Jakub Fejfar and Sergio Velez shutting out Mason Addison and Eli Meyer 8-0 at number three. Barry’s number two team of Andrew Sharnov and Roman Werschel dispatched Gino Ramirez and Kyle Maloof 8-5.
At number one doubles, the Saints’ David Cotrone and Henry Snoxell led 5-3 before Emanuel Fraitzl and Max Wimmer rallied for an 8-5 win to put the Bucs up 3-0.
In singles, the Bucs grabbed the first set at all six flights. Marcello D’Armas knocked off 6-1, 6-1 at number six to put the Bucs on the brink and Fefjar closed out the match with a 6-1, 6-1 win over Addison at number five.
“Today was pretty good,” Flagler assistant head coach Jeff Hepburn said. “We came out strong at number one and number two dubs, not so much at number three. It was a great opportunity in our first chance at the NCAA Tournament. I’m very proud of my guys.”
The Bucs advance to the regional finals at 10:00 am on Saturday, May 9 against the winner of the West Florida/Ouachita Baptist match.
Tennis Match Results
Flagler vs Barry
5/08/2009 at Miami Shores, Fla.
(Buccaneer Tennis Center)
#2 Barry 5, #35 Flagler 0
1. #20 Emanuel Fraitzl (BUM) vs. David Cotrone (FCM) 6-0, 2-4, unfinished
2. #46 Andrew Sharnov (BUM) vs. Gino Ramirez (FCM) 6-3, 0-4, unfinished
3. Max Wimmer (BUM) vs. Harry Snoxell (FCM) 6-1, 2-3, unfinished
4. Roman Werschel (BUM) vs. Kyle Maloof (FCM) 6-3, 0-1, unfinished
5. Jakub Fejfar (BUM) def. Mason Addison (FCM) 6-1, 6-1
6. Marcello D'Armas (BUM) def. Eli Meyer (FCM) 6-1, 6-1
1. #4 Emanuel Fraitzl/Max Wimmer (BUM) def. David Cotrone/Harry Snoxell (FCM) 8-5
2. Roman Werschel/Andrew Sharnov (BUM) def. Gino Ramirez/Kyle Maloof (FCM) 8-5
3. Jakub Fejfar/Sergio Velez (BUM) def. Eli Meyer/Mason Addison (FCM) 8-0
Flagler 10-7; National ranking #35
Barry 22-2; National ranking #2
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (,6,5)