BOCA RATON, Fla.—The Barry University women’s tennis team advanced to the finals of the NCAA Division II South Regional I tournament on Friday morning with a 5-4 win over Rollins.
In doubles action the Bucs worked their way to a 2-1 lead. The Tars struck first as Roshni Luthra and Allie Steele quickly beat Mei-Jing Ang and Lamie Contreras 8-3 in the number two spot.
Barry tied it at one apiece when Angie Werschel and Yulia Kashelkina beat Margaret Junker and Kayli Ragsdale 8-3 in the number one spot.
In doubles three, Berit Peterson and Caroline Wendling struggled with Holly Fleming and Stefaniya Tkach before finishing off the pair 9-7. Peterson and Wendling were up 6-5 before Fleming and Tkach took two of the next three games to go up 7-6. Wendling and Peterson took the final two games to give the Bucs a 2-1 lead heading into singles action.
In singles action Wendling pushed the Bucs lead to 3-1 with a 6-2, 6-2 win over Fleming in the number two spot.
The Tars tied it at 3-3 with wins by Tkach and Junker in the three and four spots. Peterson defeated Ragsdale 6-4, 6-4 in the number five spot; but the match remained tied at 4-4 when Steele beat Julie Cadet 3-6, 6-4, 7-5 in the six spot.
Werschel earned the win for the Bucs in a three set barn burner over Luthra. Werschel dropped the first set in straight games, 0-6. She battled through the second set to earn the 6-4 win. Tied 6-6 in the third set, Werschel went on to win the tiebreaker 10-8, propelling the Bucs into the finals on Saturday morning.
Tennis Match Results
Barry vs Rollins
05/08/09 at Boca Raton, Fla.
#13 Barry 5, #9 Rollins 4
1. #10 Angie Werschel (BUW) def. #9 Roshni Luthra (RCW) 0-6, 6-4, 7-6 (10-8)
2. Caroline Wendling (BUW) def. Holly Fleming (RCW) 6-2, 6-1
3. Stefaniya Tkach (RCW) def. Yulia Kashelkina (BUW) 6-4, 6-1
4. Margaret Junker (RCW) def. Laime Contreras (BUW) 6-4, 6-2
5. Berit Peterson (BUW) def. Kayli Ragsdale (RCW) 6-4, 6-4
6. Allie Steele (RCW) def. Julie Cadet (BUW) 3-6, 6-4, 7-5
1. #23 Angie Werschel/Yulia Kashelkina (BUW) def. #22 Margaret Junker/Kayli Ragsdale (RCW) 8-3
2. Roshni Luthra/Allie Steele (RCW) def. Mei-Jing Ang/Laime Contreras (BUW) 8-3
3. Berit Peterson/Caroline Wendling (BUW) def. Holly Fleming/Stefaniya Tkach (RCW) 9-7
Barry 18-7; National ranking #13
Rollins 20-5; National ranking #9
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (2,4,3,5,6,1)
NCAA South Region Tournament Semifinals - Match #3
Barry advances to South Region Finals