ALTAMONTE SPRINGS, Fla.— The Barry University men’s tennis team won in the first round of the NCAA Division II men’s tennis championship on Wednesday morning, beating BYU-Hawaii 6-0.
In doubles action, the number three team of Jakub Fejfar and Sergio Velez got out to a quick 4-1 lead over Carlton Taylor and Joe Beck. The Seasiders took a game before the Bucs won three more to go up 7-1. The Bucs gave one more game away before taking the set 8-2.
In doubles two, Ales Svigelj and Andrew Sharnov split the first two games with Manu Bajpai and Romeo Juhasz before winning four of the next seven to take a 5-4 lead. The pair would take four straight to win the set 8-4.
In doubles one, Emanuel Fraitzl and Max Wimmer got tough competition from Rong Ma and Angel Peter, but would go on to win the set 8-5, giving the Buccaneers a 3-0 lead heading into singles competition.
In singles competition, The Bucs earned the two points they needed in spots four and six. Marcello D’Armas manhandled Brian Baker at number six singles, beating him 6-1, 6-1.
In the number four spot, Wimmer quickly took the first set 6-2 to bring the Bucs closer to victory. In the second set, Romeo Juhasz went up 2-1 before Wimmer took four of the final seven games to take the 6-2, 6-4 victory.
Roman Werschel beat Taylor 6-4, 6-1 as well, to give the Bucs the sixth point of the day.
With the win, the Bucs move onto the quarterfinal round of the tournament. The Bucs will square off against Georgia College tomorrow morning at 9:00 am. Live video coverage is available at: http://all-access.cbssports.com/player.html?code=ncaa&media=127965.
Tennis Match Results
BYU-Hawaii vs Barry
05/11/09 at Altamonte Springs, Fla.
#2 Barry 6, #28 BYU-Hawaii 0
1. #5 Ales Svigelj (BUM) vs. #14 Rong Ma (BYUH) 4-6, 2-0, unfinished
2. #18 Emanuel Fraitzl (BUM) vs. Angel Peter (BYUH) 6-7, 1-0, unfinished
3. #46 Andrew Sharnov (BUM) vs. Manu Bajpal (BYUH) 6-7, 2-3, unfinished
4. Max Wimmer (BUM) def. Romeo Juhasz (BYUH) 6-2, 6-4
5. Roman Werschel (BUM) vs. Carlton Taylor' (BYUH) 6-4, 6-1
6. Marcello D'Armas (BUM) def. Brian Baker (BYUH) 6-1, 6-1
1. #4 Emanuel Fraitzl/Max Wimmer (BUM) def. #23 Rong Ma/Angel Peter (BYUH) 8-5
2. #12 Ales Svigelj/Andrew Sharnov (BUM) def. Manu Bajpal/Romeo Juhasz (BYUH) 8-4
3. Jakub Fejfar/Sergio Velez (BUM) def. Carlton Taylor'/Joe Beck (BYUH) 8-2
BYU-Hawaii 16-5; National ranking #28
Barry 25-2; National ranking #2
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (,6,4)
Barry advances to Quarterfinals