MIAMI SHORES, Fla.—The second-ranked Barry Buccaneers outlasted the seventh-ranked West Florida Argonauts 6-3 at the Buccaneer Tennis Center on Wednesday.
Max Wimmer, ranked 34th nationally, wore down the Argonauts’ Nathan Rosenfeld at the number four singles 5-7, 6-3, 6-1 to clinch the match for the Bucs when Rosenfeld began cramping in the second set. Already up a set, Rosenfeld led 3-0 in the second set before Wimmer bounced back to take the match.
The Bucs (9-0) carried a 2-1 lead out of doubles, with all three matches ending 8-5. Barry’s Ales Svigelj and Andrew Sharnov defeated Andrey Pozhidev and Mike Lue at number two, while Marco Mokrzycki and Sergio Velez downed Patrick Bateman and Rosenfeld at number three.
The Argonauts claimed their sole point in the marquee match, with the third-ranked duo of Kevin Ducros and Leandro Ferreira beating the Bucs’ ninth-ranked pair of Wimmer and Emanuel Fraitzl.
In singles, #12 Ducros rolled over #11 Mokrzycki 6-4, 7-5 at number one and Ferreira made it 3-2 in favor of West Florida by beating #15 Svigelj 6-4, 7-6 (5).
But Fraitzl stopped the bleeding for the Bucs gutty 6-0, 1-6, 6-4 win over Pozhidev at number three and Sharnov came on to make quick work of Sean Gunnels 6-3, 6-4 at number five.
After Wimmer closed out the match, Sergio Velez took down Bateman in a super tie-breaker to close out the match, winning 7-6 (5), 4-6 and 10-1 as Bateman also began to cramp.
The Bucs head for Las Vegas, Nev., this weekend to face some of the top competition in NCAA Division II at the Las Vegas Invitational. They will face #5 Hawai’i Pacific, #19 St. Edwards as well as having a return match against #1 Armstrong Atlantic, the two-time defending national champs who defeated the Bucs in the finals the past two seasons.
Tennis Match Results
West Florida vs Barry
03/10/10 at Miami Shores, Fla.
(Buccaneer Tennis Center)
#2 Barry 6, #7 West Florida 3
1. #12 Kevin Ducros (UWF) def. #11 Marco Mokrzycki (BUM) 6-4, 7-5
2. Leandro Ferreira (UWF) def. #15 Ales Svigelj (BUM) 6-4, 7-6 (7-5)
3. #33 Emanuel Fraitzl (BUM) def. #43 Andrey Pozhidev (UWF) 6-0, 1-6, 6-4
4. #34 Max Wimmer (BUM) def. Nathan Rosenfeld (UWF) 5-7, 6-3, 6-1
5. Andrew Sharnov (BUM) def. Sean Gunnels (UWF) 6-3, 6-4
6. Sergio Velez (BUM) def. Patrick Bateman (UWF) 7-6 (7-5), 4-6, 10-1
1. #3 Kevin Ducros/Leandro Ferreira (UWF) def. #9 Emanuel Fraitzl/Max Wimmer (BUM) 8-5
2. Andrew Sharnov/Ales Svigelj (BUM) def. Andrey Pozhidev/Mike Lue (UWF) 8-5
3. Marco Mokrzycki/Sergio Velez (BUM) def. Nathan Rosenfeld/Patrick Bateman (UWF) 8-5
West Florida 3-4; National ranking #7
Barry 9-0; National ranking #2