LAKELAND, Fla.— In the semifinals of the Sunshine State Conference Tournament, the #4 Barry women’s tennis team defeats the #9 Rollins Tars 5-1.
The Buccaneers took two out of three doubles matches, starting with the #6 doubles team of Barbi Pocza and Yulia Kashelkina. Pocza/Kashelkina defeated #18 Margaret Junker and Kayli Ragsdale 8-3.
At number two doubles, Angie Werschel and Julie Stas took an 8-6 win to give Barry an early 2-0 advantage in the match.
Rollins came back at in the last doubles match, rallying from a 7-2 deficit to defeat Berit Peterson and Mia Fiocca 9-7.
In singles, Caroline Wendling finished first and beat Junker 6-1, 6-1. #5 Pocza finished second on the day in singles. Pocza dropped her first set but stormed back to take the next two sets 6-0, 6-0. This season, Pocza has won six matches where she lost the first set then took the next two.
#40 Kashelkina finished the match for the Buccaneers with another three-set win. Kashelkina beat Stefania Tkach 6-1, 5-7, 6-1.
Barry moves to the finals of the SSC Tournament against #2 Lynn. Earlier this season the Bucs went up to Boca Raton and beat the Fighting Knights 5-4.
Tennis Match Results
Rollins vs Barry
04/16/10 at Lakeland, Fla.
(Beerman Tennis Facility)
#4 Barry 5, #9 Rollins 1
1. #5 Barbi Pocza (BUW) def. #11 Roshni Luthra (RCW) 3-6, 6-0, 6-0
2. #12 Angie Werschel (BUW) vs. #15 Holly Fleming (RCW) unfinished
3. #40 Yulia Kashelkina (BUW) def. Stefania Tkach (RCW) 6-1, 5-7, 6-1
4. Caroline Wendling (BUW) def. Margaret Junker (RCW) 6-1, 6-1
5. Mia Fiocca (BUW) vs. Lisa Loft (RCW) unfinished
6. Berit Peterson (BUW) vs. Kayli Ragsdale (RCW) unfinished
1. #6 Barbi Pocza/Yulia Kashelkina (BUW) def. #18 Margaret Junker/Kayli Ragsdale (RCW) 8-3
2. Angie Werschel/Julie Stas (BUW) def. Roshni Luthra/Lisa Loft (RCW) 8-6
3. Holly Fleming/Stefania Tkach (RCW) def. Berit Peterson/Mia Fiocca (BUW) 9-7
Rollins 16-7; National ranking #9
Barry 20-3; National ranking #4
Semifinals - Sunshine State Conference Tournament
Barry advances to championship 4/17 at 11:30 a.m. vs. Lynn
Rollins plays in third-place match 4/17 at noon vs. Florida Southern
Match order - Doubles: 1,3,2; Singles: 4,1,3
Women's Tennis Rolls Through Rollins in SSC Semis
Posted On : April 16, 2010