ALTAMONTE SPRINGS, Fla.—The Barry men’s tennis team only falls in one match as they roll through the #17 Drury Panthers 5-1 in the first round of the NCAA Men’s Tennis Championships on Wednesday.
In doubles, Andrew Sharnov and Sergio Velez took the first point of the day with an 8-1 win over Drury’s Lukas Zielen and Alex Kacamakisz. The win gives Sharnov a team-leading 18 doubles wins for the year. Velez is closely behind him with 16 doubles win.
Finishing up closely behind Sharnov/Velez was the number two team of Emanuel Fraitzl and Marco Mokrzycki. The Barry team defeated the Panthers’ Jesus San Ramon Garcia Garcia and Antonio Garcia Santos 8-3. Fraitzl is second on the team in doubles wins with 17.
The last doubles match to conclude was number one doubles. The match went to a tie breaker and the Buccaneer duo of Ales Svigelj and Max Wimmer lost 9-8 (10-8) to Drury’s Roman Gonda and Ivan Merevic. Barry went into singles with a 2-1 lead.
The first singles set captured on the day was by senior Sharnov. At number five singles, Sharnov took a 6-1 win in his first set to swing the momentum back toward the Buccaneers. The senior finished off Drury’s Ivan Marevic 6-2 in the second set and gave Barry a 3-1 lead.
#32 Fraitzl captured the next match point for Barry as he cruised to a 6-2, 6-3 win over Alex Kacamakisz. Fraitzl is second on the team in singles wins with 15.
Finally, to clinch the match, the steady forehand of #36 Svigelj delivered the dagger to the heart of the Panthers. Svigelj took the first set by tie breaker then flew through the second set 6-2 over Roman Gonda.
Much like their women counter parts, Barry faces the top ranked Armstrong Atlantic Pirates tomorrow in the quarterfinals. The match is set for 1:00 p.m. with live stat coverage available on the NCAA homepage and a live blog through the Barry athletics home page.
Tennis Match Results
Barry vs Drury
05/12/10 at Altamonte Springs, Fla.
#4 Barry 5, #17 Drury 1
1. #31 J.S.R. Garcia Garcia (DU) vs. #16 Marco Mokrzycki (BUM) 6-7 (6-8), 1-3, unfinished
2. #36 Ales Svigelj (BUM) def. Roman Gonda (DU) 7-6 (7-4), 6-2
3. #32 Emanuel Fraitzl (BUM) def. Alex Kacamakisz (DU) 6-2, 6-3
4. A. G. Santos (DU) vs. #42 Max Wimmer (BUM) 4-6, 3-5, unfinished
5. Andrew Sharnov (BUM) def. Ivan Marevic (DU) 6-1, 6-2
6. Lukas Zielen (DU) vs. Simon Raagaard (BUM) 2-6, 6-6, unfinished
1. Roman Gonda/Ivan Marevic (DU) def. #10 Ales Svigelj/Max Wimmer (BUM) 9-8 (10-8)
2. Emanuel Fraitzl/Marco Mokrzycki (BUM) def. J.S.R. Garcia Garcia/A. G. Santos (DU) 8-3
3. Andrew Sharnov/Sergio Velez (BUM) def. Lukas Zielen/Alex Kacamakisz (DU) 8-1
Barry 22-4; National ranking #4
Drury 17-5; National ranking #17
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (5,3,2)
2010 NCAA Division II Men's Championship
Round of 16
Winner advances to play Armstrong Atlantic Thursday at 1:00 pm
Men's Tennis Deals with Panthers and Awaits Armstrong
Posted On : May 12, 2010