ALTAMONTE SPRINGS, Fla.—The Barry University women’s tennis team defeated the three-time defending national champion Armstrong Atlantic State Pirates 5-3 to move to the NCAA Division II National Championship tomorrow at 1:00 pm.
This is only the second time the Buccaneer women’s tennis team has been in the national final. The Bucs went in 2003, losing 5-3 to BYU-Hawaii.
In doubles action, the Bucs took two wins to go up 2-1. In the second flight, #22 Laura Boguet and Alex Gwizdowski gave the Bucs a 1-0 lead with an 8-6 win over #13 Kathleen Henry and Tina Ronel. Down 6-5, the Bucs took the final three games to win the set.
In flight three, Julie Stas and Olivia Matuszak took an 8-5 win over Alekesandra Filipovski and Joanna Szymczyk to give the Bucs their second point of the day. The Bucs broke the Pirates in games two and five to help them to the win.
Second-ranked Barbi Pocza and Angie Werschel fell 8-4 to third-ranked Barbara Krtickova and Alida Muller-Wehlau.
In singles action, Bouget gave the Bucs their third point to take a 3-2 lead. Boguet toppled #49 Kathleen Henry in relative ease, winning 6-3, 6-2. She took the last four games of the first set to help her to the win.
Barry’s fourth point came moments later in singles number four where Oliva Matuszak made short work of the #28 player in the country, Tina Ronel. Matuszak took the first set 6-4 and blanked her 6-0 in the second set.
Barry’s fifth and decisive point came at the top flight where third-ranked Barbi Pocza beat #7 Muller-Wehlau. In the first set, the pair were tied at 6-6. Pocza won the tie breaker to take the set 7-6 (7-6). It was all Pocza in the second set as she went up 3-0 and took two of the last three to propel the Bucs into the national championship match.
With the win, the Bucs move on to face conference rival Lynn in the National Championship tomorrow. The Bucs split games with Lynn this season, losing 6-3 on April 4 and winning in the SSC Championship 5-2 on April 16.
Fans are encouraged to attend the match at Sanlando Park in Altamonte Springs, Florida at 1:00 pm tomorrow. Those that can’t attend can follow the Buccaneer Championship Blog, live stats, and watch on a live video stream.
Tennis Match Results
Barry vs Armstrong Atlantic
05/13/11 at Altamonte Springs, Fla.
#2 Barry 5, #4 Armstrong Atlantic 3
1. #3 Barbi Pocza (BUW) def. #7 Alida Muller-Wehlau (AASUW) 7-6 (7-5), 6-2
2. #11 Barbora Krtickova (AASUW) def. #36 Angie Werschel (BUW) 6-3, 6-4
3. #12 Aleksndra Filipovski (AASUW) def. #44 Caroline Wendling (BUW) 6-0, 6-1
4. Olivia Matuszak (BUW) def. #28 Tina Ronel (AASUW) 6-4, 6-1
5. Laura Boguet (BUW) def. #49 Kathleen Henry (AASUW) 6-3, 6-3
6. #47 Joanna Szymczyk (AASUW) vs. Mona Mansour (BUW) 3-6, 4-3, unfinished
1. Barbora Krtickova/Alida Muller-Wehlau (AASUW) def. Barbi Pocza/Angie Werschel (BUW) 8-4
2. #22 Alex Gwizdowski/Laura Boguet (BUW) def. #13 Kathleen Henry/Tina Ronel (AASUW) 8-6
3. Julie Stas/Olivia Matuszak (BUW) def. Aleksndra Filipovski/Joanna Szymczyk (AASUW) 8-4
Barry 25-1; National ranking #2
Armstrong Atlantic 28-3; National ranking #4
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (3,5,4,2,1)
NCAA Division II Tennis Championships
Barry advances to National Championship match