Student Insurance Requirements
All students residing in University housing & all international students with an F-1 or J-1 visa require:
- Proof of insurance
- Proof of insurance is considered complete when a copy of the students’ insurance card front and back has been provided to the Student Health Center and the primary insurance waiver has been completed (see below for waiver process).
- Insurance Waiver Form (complete this waiver if you have private Health Insurance through a licensed US insurance company)
- Deadline Dates
- September 2, 2014 (Fall 2014 Classes)
- January 19, 2015 (Spring 2014 Classes)
- Submission of a waiver does not guarantee that the waiver will be accepted. If the waiver fails to meet the standards of adequacy for insurance, you will be notified by email and billed for the one semester of the Barry Primary Student Insurance Plan
*Proof of insurance & completion of the insurance wavier is required prior to checking in to residence and/or before the first day of classes and on an annual basis each fall semester thereafter.
For the protection of all of our students Barry University has a strict policy regarding health insurance coverage. Failure to comply with this policy may negatively affect your registration process and/or the arrangements for any/all university provided housing.
If proof of insurance and an approved insurance waiver are not provided prior to the start of classes, the fee for the Barry Primary Student Insurance plan will be billed to the student's account. Such fees are irrevocable and will not be credited under any circumstance.
Proof of Insurance for International Students
International Insurance is not accepted
All International students with an F-1 or J-1 visa must enroll in the Barry Primary Student Insurance plan unless they have the following:
- An insurance plan through a reputable US insurance company with a US claims agent and payable in US dollars, such as Aetna World Wide, Cigna United, or BC/BS
- The policy must include all of the requirements outlined below plus:
- Repatriation of $10,000
- Medical Evacuation of $10,000
If you have a Private Health Insurance Plan
- Must meet the Affordable Care Act guidelines
- Insurance benefits must be comparable to the Barry Student Insurance plan through BCBS of Florida:
- access to primary care (emergency only care is not comparable coverage)
- Inpatient coverage of 80% of usual & customary reimbursement
- prescriptive medications at a local pharmacy
- inpatient and outpatient mental health benefits (including alcohol and substance abuse treatment)
- an individual deductible not to exceed $2500 per policy year
- Maternity benefits for our female students
- Insurance company must be licensed to do business in the State of Florida
- Must pay directly to physician, hospital or health care provider