Student Insurance Requirements
ALL students residing in University housing & all international students with an F-1 or J-1 visa require the following in order to check into residence halls and/or start classes:
Proof of adequate health insurance is considered complete when the following has been provided to the Student Health Services:
- Copy of private insurance card (front & back)
- Completed Waiver Form
Insurance Waiver Form (complete this waiver if you have private Health Insurance through a licensed US insurance company)
Submission of a waiver does not guarantee that the waiver will be accepted. If the waiver fails to meet the standards of adequacy for insurance, you will be notified by email and billed for the one semester of the Barry Primary Student Insurance Plan
Waiver Deadline Dates
- August 31, 2017 (Fall 2015 Classes)
- January 19, 2018 (Spring 2016 Classes)
Failure to comply with the university insurance/waiver requirement (providing a copy of a valid private insurance card, front & back and completed waiver form) on or before the semester deadline, can result in a non-refundable charge to your student account for the current semester of Barry University sponsored primary student insurance and affect your registration and/or housing arrangements.
*Proof of insurance & completion of the insurance wavier is required prior to checking in to residence and/or before the first day of classes and on an annual basis each fall semester thereafter.
If you have a Private Health Insurance Plan
- Must meet the Affordable Care Act guidelines
- Insurance benefits must be comparable to the Barry Student Insurance plan through United Health Care:
- The insurance company must be licensed to do business in the State of Florida
- Coverage must be continuous for an entire academic year (August – August)
- Access to primary care (hospital emergency room only care is not comparable coverage)
- Inpatient hospital coverage of 80% of Usual and Customary reimbursement
- Prescriptive medications at a local pharmacy
- Inpatient and outpatient mental health benefits (including alcohol and substance abuse treatment)
- An individual deductible not to exceed $2,500 per policy year
- Maternity benefits (women only)
Proof of Insurance for International Students
International Insurance is not accepted
All International students with an F-1 or J-1 visa must enroll in the Barry Primary Student Insurance plan unless they have the following:
- An insurance plan through a reputable US insurance company with a US claims agent, and payable directly to physician/hospital in US dollars, such as Aetna World Wide, Cigna United, or BC/BS. Plans that require the patient to pay the physician and then reimburse the patient (pay them back) are not accepted.
- The policy must include all of the requirements outlined above plus:
- Repatriation of $10,000
- Medical Evacuation of $10,000
If you meet the above criteria and wish NOT to enroll in the Barry Student Insurance plan, please submit the Insurance Waiver form for consideration at www,barry.edu/MyBarry.