Pre-Law Bachelor of Arts Degree
How can I successfully prepare for law school?
According to the American Bar Association (ABA), no single undergraduate major can be cited as providing the best preparation for law school. Students who do well in law school however, do possess strong analytical and writing skills combined with a solid background in business, history, political science, and philosophy. (www.abanet.org/legaled/prelaw/prep.html)
The Pre-Law major at Barry Universityis designed to help you become more competent in these areas.
Pre-Law is an interdisciplinary 51 credit hours major representing a number of study options, supported by Barry’s liberal arts requirements. The program includes concentrations in business, history, political science, and philosophy. The Pre-Law program also offers you the opportunity to integrate these disciplines in a required integrative experience senior seminar.
Specialized courses within the different academic areas in the Pre-Law major include:
- Constitutional law
- Business law
- Philosophy of law
- Rhetorical analysis
These advanced courses are more meaningful and useful when you understand the context behind them and are able to analyze how they relate to one another.
Specific learning objectives in the Pre-Law major include:
- Exposure to themes central to the study of law, with analysis of their historical, political and philosophical backgrounds and implications
- General emphasis on the Western tradition of law in the context of the United States
- Understanding of general economic theory
- Relationship of law and business in Western societies
- Acquiring rhetorical skills
- Developing strong writing and communication skills
Students in the Pre-Law major have interned at:
- Miami-Dade Office of the Florida State Attorney
- Miami-Dade County Attorney’s Office
- Local law firms
Graduates from our program attend the best law schools in Florida and the United States.
- University of Miami School of Law
- Florida State University School of Law
- Stetson University College of Law
- University of Illinois College of Law
- Tulane University Law School
- Fordham University School of Law
- Georgetown University Law Center
- St. Thomas University Law School
- Valparaiso University School of Law
- Nova Southeastern University Law Center
In addition, Barry graduates who meet the admissions criteria are assured a place in the Barry University Dwayne O. Andreas School of Law in Orlando.