MIAMI SHORES, Fla.—The Barry Buccaneers advanced to the finals of the NCAA Division II Women’s Tennis Southeast-II Regional Tournament with a 5-0 win over Saint Leo at the Buccaneer Tennis Center on Friday.
In doubles, the match went all for the Buccaneers (19-6). The Buccaneers’ top tandem, 11th-ranked Ildiko Csordas and Caroline Stevens shutout Lina Benkirane and Asmaa Tazi 8-0 at number one. At number two, Angie Werschel and Helen Wisniewski closed out Shaena Keefe and Taylor Cleaves 8-2. Olivia Lilien and Berit Peterson made it a clean sweep with an 8-4 win over Veronica Queen and Gina Schifano at number three.
In singles, the Bucs got their two points at the bottom two flights. Lilien shut down Schifano 6-2, 6-0 at number five to make to 4-0. Saskia Kruse, a late addition to the singles lineup, rallied from down 4-1 in the first set to beat Cleaves 6-4, 6-0 at number six.
The Bucs will face the winner of the Rollins/Tusculum match in the championship at 11:00 am on Saturday. The winner will advance to the national tournament at the NCAA Division II Spring Sports Festival in Houston, Texas May 14-17.
Tennis Match Results
Saint Leo vs Barry
5/09/2008 at Miami Shores, Fla.
(Buccaneer Tennis Center)
#8 Barry 5, #32 Saint Leo 0
1. #8 Ildiko Csordas (BUW) vs. Lina Benkirane (SLW) 6-4, 2-2, unfinished
2. #23 Caroline Stevens (BUW) vs. Asmaa Tazi (SLW) 3-6, 3-2, unfinished
3. #33 Angie Werschel (BUW) vs. Shaena Keefe (SLW) 6-4, 0-2, unfinished
4. Helen Wisniewski (BUW) vs. Veronica Queen (SLW) 6-1, 4-2, unfinished
5. Olivia Lilien (BUW) def. Gina Schifano (SLW) 6-2, 6-0
6. Saskia Kruse (BUW) def. Taylor Cleaves (SLW) 6-4, 6-0
1. #11 Ildiko Csordas/Caroline Stevens (BUW) def. Lina Benkirane/Asmaa Tazi (SLW) 8-0
2. Angie Werschel/Helen Wisniewski (BUW) def. Shaena Keefe/Taylor Cleaves (SLW) 8-2
3. Berit Peterson/Olivia Lilien (BUW) def. Veronica Queen/Gina Schifano (SLW) 8-4
Saint Leo 13-11; National ranking #32
Barry 19-6; National ranking #8
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (,5,6)
Official: Cecil Wise