MIAMI SHORES, Fla.— The Barry University women’s tennis team earned an easy victory over cross-town rival St. Thomas (3-11) on Friday afternoon, blanking them 9-0.
In doubles action, the Bucs (13-5) earned three points in two matches. Caroline Wendling and Yulia Kashelkina defeated Manuela Gil and Natalie Ramirez 8-0 in the number one spot. In number two doubles, Berit Peterson and Mei-Jing Ang beat Bridget Castillo and Stephanie Pfeffer 8-6. The Bobcats defaulted in the number three spot, giving the win to Lamie Contreras and Julie Cadet.
The Bucs faired just as easily in singles action, taking all six points. In number one singles, Wendling beat Gil 6-0, 6-0. In number two singles, Kashelkina defeated Ramirez 6-0, 6-3. In the three spot, Peterson beat Castillo 6-0, 6-2. In four singles, Ang beat Pfeffer 6-1, 6-1.
In the five spot, Cadet was ahead a match (6-1) when Adriana Montilla was forced to default, giving the win to Cadet. The Bobcats didn’t field a player in the six spot, giving the win to Contreras.
The Bucs return to action at home on Saturday, April 4 against Northwood at 10:00 am.
Tennis Match Results
St. Thomas vs Barry
04/03/09 at Miami Shores, Fla.
(Buccaneer Tennis Center)
#17 Barry 9, St. Thomas 0
1. Caroline Wendling (BUW) def. Manuela Gil (STW) 6-0, 6-0
2. Yulia Kashelkina (BUW) def. Natalia Ramirez (STW) 6-0, 6-3
3. Berit Peterson (BUW) def. Bridget Castillo (STW) 6-0, 6-2
4. Mei-Jing Ang (BUW) def. Stephanie Pfeffer (STW) 6-1, 6-1
5. Julie Cadet (BUW) def. Adriana Montilla (STW), by default
6. Laime Contreras (BUW) def. No player (STW), by default
1. Caroline Wendling/Yulia Kashelkina (BUW) def. Manuela Gil/Natalia Ramirez (STW) 8-0
2. Berit Peterson/Mei-Jing Ang (BUW) def. Bridget Castillo/Stephanie Pfeffer (STW) 8-6
3. Laime Contreras/Julie Cadet (BUW) def. No player/No player (STW), by default
St. Thomas 3-11
Barry 13-5; National ranking #17