MIAMI SHORES, Fla.—The Barry Buccaneers got the 2010 men’s tennis season under way with a 7-2 win over NAIA #2-ranked Embry-Riddle at the Buccaneer Tennis Center on Saturday.
The Buccaneers (1-0) took a 2-1 lead after winning two out of three doubles contests. The ERAU team of Jan Hoekzema and Alexis Huegas took an early lead the top doubles, but Barry's Mokrzycki and Max Wimmer battled back to take the match 8-4. Emmanuel Fraitzl and Sergio Velez topped the Eagles’ duo of Charlie Rice and Luke Maricic easily at the third doubles spot, winning 8-2. Embry-Riddle avoided the doubles sweep when Istvan Bolgar and Peter Francis held off Ales Svigelj and Andrew Sharnov 9-7 at #2.
Barry extended its lead to 4-1 early in the singles after Sharnov defeated ninth-ranked Bolgar 6-2, 6-3 at number five and Fraitzl topped #19 Rice 6-4, 6-4 at number four.
All four remaining singles went to third sets, with Barry winning three. Wimmer clinched the match for the Buccaneers with a 6-1, 5-7, 6-3 win over #24 Francis at number three.
At number six, Velez topped Zander Woodford-Smith 6-4, 4-6, 6-4. At the top spot, freshman Mokrzycki took the first set 6-3 over twelfth-ranked Hoekzema. The Eagle pulled out a 7-6 (4) victory in the second, but Mokrzycki rebounded 6-4 in the final set.
The Eagles' lone singles win came at the number two spot. Huegas took a one-set lead with a 6-4 decision in the first, but Svigelj came away with a 7-6 (6) win in the second to set up the decisive third frame. Both players battled hard, but Huegas came away with a 6-4 win in the third.
The Bucs take on fourth-ranked Valdosta State on Monday at 10:00 am at the Buccaneer Tennis Center.
Tennis Match Results
Embry-Riddle vs Barry
02/13//10 at Miami Shores, Fla.
(Buccaneer Tennis Center)
#2 Barry 7, #2 Embry-Riddle 2
1. #11 Marco Mokrzycki (BUM) def. #12 Jan Hoekzema (ERAUM) 6-3, 6-7 (4-7), 6-4
2. Alexis Heugas (ERAUM) def. #15 Ales Svigelj (BUM) 6-4, 6-7 (6-8), 6-4
3. #34 Max Wimmer (BUM) def. #24 Peter Francis (ERAUM) 6-1, 5-7, 6-3
4. #33 Emanuel Fraitzl (BUM) def. #19 Charlie Rice (ERAUM) 6-4, 6-4
5. Andrew Sharnov (BUM) def. #9 Istvan Bolgar (ERAUM) 6-2, 6-3
6. Sergio Velez (BUM) def. Zander WoodfordSmith (ERAUM) 6-4, 4-6, 6-4
1. Marco Mokrzycki/Max Wimmer (BUM) def. Jan Hoekzema/Alexis Heugas (ERAUM) 8-4
2. #3 Peter Francis/Istvan Bolgar (ERAUM) def. Ales Svigelj/Andrew Sharnov (BUM) 9-7
3. Emanuel Fraitzl/Sergio Velez (BUM) def. #18 Charlie Rice/Luke Maricic (ERAUM) 8-2
Embry-Riddle 3-1; National ranking #2
Barry 1-0; National ranking #2
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (,5,4,3,2,1,6)