MIAMI SHORES, Fla.—The NCAA Division II fourth-ranked Barry Buccaneers made short work of the Division I UMass Minutewomen 8-1 at the Buccaneer Tennis Center on Tuesday afternoon.
The Bucs (11-0) swept the doubles handily. Fourth-ranked pair Barbi Pocza and Angie Werschel beat the UMass (9-6) top team of Yuliana Motyl and Chantal Swiszcz 8-1. At number two, Julie Stas and Olivia Matuszak handled Julia Comas and Tanisha Hodgson 8-4, while at the bottom flight Laura Boguet and Caroline Wendling defeated Jessica Podlofsky and Kaitlyn Carpenter 8-3.
In the singles, the Bucs closed out the match quickly, taking the matches at the top and bottom of the ladder. Pocza shut out Candynce Boney 6-0, 6-0 at number one to stay unbeaten on the season. At number six, Boguet made almost equally short work of Carpneter 6-1, 6-0.
At number three, Wendling beat Comas 6-1, 6-4, while Matuszak handled Podlofsky 6-2, 6-3 at number four.
Mona Mansour weathered a challenge from Swiszcz at number five, winning 7-6 (5), 6-3.
Motyl gave UMass its only point with a 6-1, 6-4 win over Werschel at number two.
The Bucs will face the NAIA #1-ranked Lady Senators of Auburn-Montgomery on Thursday, Mar. 17 in Melbourne, Fla., on the campus of Florida Tech.
Tennis Match Results
Massachusetts vs Barry
03/15/11 at Miami Shores, Fla.
(Buccaneer Tennis Center)
#4 Barry 8, Massachusetts 1
1. #14 Barbi Pocza (BUW) def. Candynce Boney (UMW) 6-0, 6-0
2. Yuliana Motyl (UMW) def. #23 Angie Werschel (BUW) 6-1, 6-4
3. #38 Caroline Wendling (BUW) def. Julia Comas (UMW) 6-1, 6-4
4. Olivia Matuszak (BUW) def. Jessica Podlofsky (UMW) 6-2, 6-3
5. Mona Mansour (BUW) def. Chantal Swiszcz (UMW) 7-6 (7-5), 6-3
6. Laura Boguet (BUW) def. Kaitlyn Carpenter (UMW) 6-1, 6-0
1. #4 Barbi Pocza/Angie Werschel (BUW) def. Yuliana Motyl/Chantal Swiszcz (UMW) 8-1
2. Julie Stas/Olivia Matuszak (BUW) def. Julia Comas/Tanisha Hodgson (UMW) 8-4
3. Laura Boguet/Caroline Wendling (BUW) def. Jessica Podlofsky/Kaitlyn Carpenter (UMW) 8-3
Barry 11-0; National ranking #4
Women's Tennis Puts Minutewomen in Timeout
Posted On : March 15, 2011