ALTAMONTE SPRINGS, Fla.—The fourth-ranked Barry University women’s tennis team had no problems downing the #27 Saint Leo Lions in the first round of the Sunshine State Conference women’s tennis tournament on Thursday morning. The Bucs beat the Lions 5-0.
In doubles action, Barry got out on the right foot, earning three points toward the win. At the top flight, the second-ranked team of Barbi Pocza and Angie Werschel beat Bethania Laan and Laura Kemkes 8-1. Alex Gwizdowski and Laura Boguet blanked Selma Hidass and Caroline Ebner 8-0 at the second flight. N the third flight, Julia Stas and Olivia Matuszak beat Jeanette McDonald and Adrianna Daszkiewicz 8-2.
Up 3-0 after doubles, the Bucs only needed two points to take the match. Barry earned those two points at the positions five and six. At #5, Stas defeated Daszkiewicz 6-1, 6-1. At #6 singles, Akemi Maeham blanked Ebner 6-0, 6-0.
The top four singles flights went unfinished. Werschel, ranked #33 in the country, was up 6-1, 3-2 on Laan at the top flight. Caroline Wendling was ahead of McDonald 6-1, 1-0 at the second flight. Mona Monsour was down a set, 2-6, 1-0, to Kemkes when thematch ended, and Gwizdowski was down a set, 4-6, 1-0, to Hidass at number four.
With the win, the Bucs move on to play Rollins, the third seed in the tournament and the ninth-ranked team in the country, in the semifinal tomorrow at 9:00 am.
Tennis Match Results
Saint Leo vs Barry
04/14/11 at Altamonte Springs, Fla.
#4 Barry 5, #27 Saint Leo 0
1. #33 Angie Werschel (BUW) vs. Bethania Laan (SLW) 6-1, 3-2, unfinished
2. Caroline Wendling (BUW) vs. Jeanette McDonald (SLW) 6-1, 1-0, unfinished
3. Mona Mansour (BUW) vs. Laura Kemkes (SLW) 2-6, 1-0, unfinished
4. Alex Gwizdowski (BUW) vs. Selma Hidass (SLW) 4-6, 1-0, unfinished
5. Julie Stas (BUW) def. Adrianna Daszkiewicz (SLW) 6-1, 6-1
6. Akemi Maehama (BUW) def. Caroline Ebner (SLW) 6-0, 6-0
1. #2 Barbi Pocza/Angie Werschel (BUW) def. Bethania Laan/Laura Kemkes (SLW) 8-1
2. Alex Gwizdowski/Laura Boguet (BUW) def. Selma Hidass/Caroline Ebner (SLW) 8-0
3. Julie Stas/Olivia Matuszak (BUW) def. Jeanette McDonald/Adrianna Daszkiewicz (SLW) 8-2
Saint Leo 13-8; National ranking #27; Regional ranking #9
Barry 18-1; National ranking #4; Regional ranking #2