About the Minor in Health Services Administration
Health Services Administration and Management minor provides a comprehensive overview of the healthcare system and covers various aspects such as hospitals, clinics, insurance companies, and government agencies. The minor offers students a solid foundation in Health Services Administration and Management theories and practices and prepares them to be successful in the field.
A minor in health services administration can provide a pathway to graduate studies in fields such as health management, business administration, public health, health policy and law.
The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts an industry growth of nearly 30% for the next decade, making this MINOR a valuable opportunity for students in various fields. In fact approximately 56,600 job openings are projected each year, on average, over the next decade. Salaries are impressive too: The median annual wage was $101,340 in May 2021.
Minor under any academic discipline (BA, BS) = 21 credits
Work with your program advisor to select courses for minor (3 required undergraduate + 2 undergraduate courses = 5 undergraduate + 2 required graduate courses = 7 total courses). See below…
- HSA 301– The Health System/Required – 3 Credits
- HSA 410 - Management in Health Care/Required – 3 Credits
- HSA 499 - Senior Seminar in Health Services/Required – 3 Credits
Student works with a program advisor to select 2 courses from below:
- HSA 319 - Health Care Finance – 3 Credits
- HSA 425 - Public and Community Health – 3 Credit
- HSA 441 - Healthcare for the Elderly - 3 Credits
- HSA 459 - Independent Study option – 3 Credits
- HSA 475 - Issues in Healthcare – 3 Credits
- HSA 511* - Healthcare Systems and Administration/Required – 3 Credits
- HSA 525* - Health Care Policy/Required – 3 Credits
Students obtaining an HSA Minor can apply two graduate courses (HSA 511 and HSA 525) earned in their minor to pursue a pathway to the Master’s in Health Services Administration bringing the total down to 11 remaining courses out of the 13.
- HSA520* - Managerial Epidemiology – 3 Credits
- HSA530* - Health Law & Ethics – 3 Credits
- HSA535* - Applied Biostatistics – 3 Credits
- HSA541* - Quality Improvement and Evidence-based Initiatives – 3 Credits
- HSA610* - Financing and Delivery of Health Care Services – 3 Credits
- HSA 650* - Research Application in Health Services – 3 Credits
- HSA667* - Health Care Leadership – 3 Credits
- HSA676* - Informatics and Healthcare Technologies – 3 Credits
- HSA680* - Health Care Marketing – 3 Credits
- HSA690* - Health Care Strategic Planning (Capstone) – 3 Credits
- HSA660* - Practicum/ Internship – 3 Credits
*Graduate tuition applies/Semester long courses
NOTE: check with your desired degree program prior to enrolling to obtain current tuition and fees information as they vary, for example, traditional programs versus adult learner programs.
Contact Gil Hernandez-Arranz
Health Services Administration Instructor