Frequently Asked Questions

Financial Aid

Financial Aid Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

  • The FAFSA is available after October 1st. You should apply as soon as possible after that date every year to maximize your financial aid eligibility.

  • The FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) is the universal form that students complete to be considered for financial aid at every college and university in the United States. As the name implies, it is free!

  • The FAFSA collects financial and other information about you (and your parents if you are a dependent student) and determines your degree of financial need, as well as verifies other information.

  • There are four typical categories of financial aid: scholarships, grants, loans, and employment. Financial aid can come from a variety of sources: federal, state, institutional, as well are private organizations. Scholarships are awarded to students based on academic promise, and grants are usually awarded based on financial need. Work-study awards allow students to work on campus to help defray the cost of education, while at the same time gaining valuable work experience. Loans, unlike scholarships and grants, must be repaid. Repayment of student loans usually begins after the student leaves school.

  • Most federal, state, and institutional financial aid and scholarships are designed for full-time students. However, Pell Grants may be available to part-time students, based on financial need. Additionally, Federal Direct Loans are available to students enrolled at least half-time.

  • Barry University's Title IV Federal School Code is 001466. It is very important that you enter this number on the FAFSA.

  • The Federal Pell Grant is a need-based grant, awarded only to undergraduate students who display exceptional financial need and have not earned a bachelor's, graduate, or professional degree. Awards amounts vary. The FAFSA determines the degree of financial need.

  • The Effective Access to Student Education (EASE) Grant is a grant that provides tuition assistance to full-time undergraduate students who are Florida residents. Awards are subject to annual state appropriations. The Florida Residency Affidavit must be completed.

  • The Florida Student Assistance Grant (FSAG) is awarded to Florida residents who demonstrate financial need and who are enrolled full-time in the undergraduate program. The FAFSA and the Florida Residency Affidavit are required for this award.

  • Financial aid awards are not transferred from one institution to another. If you are planning to transfer to Barry University from another educational institution, you must add Barry’s school code (001466) to your FAFSA so that we may view your information and determine your eligibility. In addition to your FAFSA information, your eligibility is also dependent upon the amount of aid utilized at your previous institution.

  • To be eligible for federal financial aid students must be United States citizens or eligible non-citizens, enrolled in a degree-seeking program at an accredited college or university.

  • This program consists of low-interest loans for students and parents. There are two types of Direct Loans; subsidized and unsubsidized. Federal Direct Subsidized Loans are based on financial need. The government pays the interest while the student is enrolled at least half time. Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loans are not based on need. However, the student is responsible for all interest which accrues during in-school, grace, and deferment periods.

    For dependent students, the annual loan limits for combined Subsidized and Unsubsidized Direct Loans are $5,500.00 for freshmen, $6,000.00 for sophomores, and $7,500.00 for juniors and seniors. For independent undergraduates, those amounts may be exceeded by an additional $4,000.00 for freshmen and sophomores, and $5,000.00 for juniors and seniors.

    Interest rates for federal loans are set by federal law and may vary from year to year. Repayment begins six months after graduation or when the student drops to less than half-time enrollment.

  • The Federal Direct PLUS Loan is for parents of dependent undergraduate students to help pay college. Awards are up to the cost of attendance per academic year, minus other aid. To borrow a Parent PLUS Loan, you must be the biological or adoptive parent, and not have an adverse credit history. Repayment begins after the last disbursement of the academic year; however, you may request a deferment with the loan servicer.

  • New borrowers at Barry University should complete the Federal Direct Master Promissory Note, and the Entrance Counseling. Students who attended Barry University last year and borrowed a Federal Direct loan will usually not need to complete an additional promissory note or counseling.

  • The easiest way is to log into the FAFSA using your FSAID and add Barry University’s Federal School Code: 001466.

  • After we receive the results of the FAFSA, we will send you a notification of your estimated financial aid offer that will list all of the federal, state, and institutional financial aid programs for which you qualified.

  • Generally, students begin repayment of their Federal Direct loans six months after they cease to be enrolled at least half-time in a degree-seeking program. With Federal Direct Subsidized loans, the student is not responsible for interest payments during the in-school period, or during the six-month grace period. However, the student is responsible for the interest on a Federal Direct Unsubsidized loan.

  • Yes! You should apply once every academic year. Complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) as soon as possible after October 1st of each year.

  • Every student is considered for academic scholarships at the time they apply for admission. Barry University has a fantastic scholarship program, with awards up to $19,000. These awards are based on your cumulative GPA and standard test scores.

  • You can use the Barry University Scholarship System to find other scholarship opportunities that you may be eligible to receive. These scholarships are funded through donations from private donors, alumni, faculty, staff, campus organizations, and corporations.

    Learn More.

  • Your dependency status determines whose information you must report when you fill out the FAFSA. If you’re a dependent student, you’ll report your and your parents’ information. Independent students will report their (and their spouse’s, if married) information.

    Your answers to certain questions on the FAFSA determine whether you are considered dependent or independent. Learn more about dependency status.

    Unless you can answer "yes" to at least one of the questions, you are considered a dependent student by the Department of Education, and your parent(s) must complete the FAFSA with you. If you claim to be an independent student, Barry University may ask you to submit documentation before you are awarded federal or state aid.

    Note: Not living with parents or not being claimed by them on tax forms does not make you an independent student for purposes of applying for federal student aid.

  • If you answered “no” to the FAFSA dependency questions and think you have unusual circumstances that would make you independent, contact the Financial Aid Office. On rare occasions, we can change your status through a process called Professional Judgment. Special circumstances may include (but are not limited to) the following:

    • Your parents are incarcerated.
    • You have left home due to an abusive family environment.
    • You do not know where your parents are and are unable to contact them (and you have not been adopted).
    • You are homeless or at risk of being homeless.

    Parental refusal to complete the FAFSA form is not considered a special circumstance to change dependency status.

    Special circumstances must be thoroughly documented, the Financial Aid Office will require written evidence of your situation (e.g. court/law enforcement documents, third-party letters from professional sources, or other relevant documentation). The decision of the Financial Aid Office is final and cannot be appeal to the U.S. Department of Education or to anyone else.

Sign in to use the pins