Each spring, the National Association of Social Workers (NASW), the world’s largest membership organization for social workers, celebrates those in the field who go above and beyond in service of their profession.
This year, NASW chapters in Florida and Texas honored an impressive number of Barry University School of Social Work faculty, alumni, and students, all of whom represent the best of the field. While 2023 is not the first-year multiple members of Barry’s School of Social Work family have been recognized by the NASW, the occasion is particularly meaningful as it comes at a moment of peak demand on the social work profession. Across communities and the myriad populations served by those in the field, economic, social, and pandemic-related hardships have highlighted both the valuable roles social workers play and the challenges they face.
So, congratulations to the 2023 NASW honorees! We are “Barry Proud” of your commitment and dedication to social work.
Honorees from the NASW Miami-Dade Unit:
- Dr. Michael Alicea, Assistant Professor, Most Influential Social Worker of the Year
- Teresa Guzman, MSW 2011, Social Work Educator of the Year
- Patricia Denson, BSW 2023 (and future MSW candidate!), Social Work Student of the Year
- Karen Sanchez, MSW 2007, Social Worker of the Year
Honorees from the NASW Broward Unit:
- Dr. Heidi LaPorte, Assistant Professor, Social Work Educator of the Year
- Veronica Latchman, MSW 2020, Social Worker of the Year (for the third year in a row!)
- Daryl Campbell, MSW 2017 and member of the Florida House of Representative, Elected Official of the Year
Honoree from the NASW North Central Texas–Fort Worth Unit:
- Sh’Niqua Alford, DSW 2023, Social Worker of the Year
Additionally, we are thrilled to congratulate DSW candidate Kashera Guy Robinson for being named the 2023 School Social Worker of the Year for Clayton County Schools in Georgia. She was recognized by the School Social Workers Association of Georgia.