Personal Property Policies

Housing Policies and Procedures

Personal Property Policies


The Department of Housing and Residence Life does not have storage facilities. All furniture belonging to residents must be removed from campus prior to check-out. Furniture left in University Housing areas (including trash areas) will be subject to removal by the Department of Housing and Residence Life staff at the owner's expense. The staff will remove items remaining in the resident's room after check-out. The resident will be assessed a fee for this service.


Playing drums and amplified instruments is prohibited.


  • Bicycles should be registered with the University Public Safety Department. There is no cost for this registration.
  • Locks are recommended to secure bicycles and are not provided by the University.
  • Motorcycles, mopeds, and gas or electric powered scooters are prohibited inside University Housing. Parking lot space is available in close proximity to University Housing. Storage or parking of these vehicles is allowed only in designated parking lots.
  • Designated parking lots adjacent to University Housing are reserved for students. All vehicles must be parked in parking lots and not on grass or other places.
  • All vehicles must be registered with the Department of Public Safety
  • Vehicles may not be left on campus while students are not full-time registered students with active housing assignments. This also applies to summer months when students are away from campus. If vehicles are abandoned, they will be towed at the owner's expense.
  • Bicycles may be stored in either bicycle racks or in resident rooms, provided they do not impede movement within the unit. Bicycles may not be chained to railings, buildings or any portion of buildings or equipment on University Housing grounds.
  • Bicycles, motorcycles or motorbikes may not be stored in hallways, entry areas, stairwells, walkways, patios or balconies.
  • Motorcycles and motorbikes must be parked in parking lots with proper decals. Improperly stored vehicles will be removed at the owner's expense.


Riding bicycles, motorcycles, in-line skates or skateboards in hallways, balconies, walkways, courtyards, lounges, offices and lobbies is prohibited. Riding bicycles or using in-line skates on the sidewalks must be done in a safe, appropriate manner and in designated areas only. The safety of all pedestrian traffic is of foremost importance on the sidewalks. Out of respect for community property, sports and general rough housing are not permitted in the hallways and walkways.


Possession of candles (unless wicks are clipped to the wax), open flames, incense, hot plates or other heating units with an open flame or heating element are prohibited. No fires may be started and/or cultivated on university owned property. This includes, but is not limited to - campfires, bonfires and/or burning trash or other materials. Residents may utilize stationary barbecue grills provided around the residence halls if they wish to cook-out. Fireworks may not be kept within any residence hall unit and/or set off anywhere on university property.


For the protection of the University Housing community, the Department of Housing and Residence Life has established some extension cord guidelines. Residents are permitted to use only extension cords with the following restrictions:

  • UL approved three-pronged extension cords that are 14 gauge or heavier (NOTE: The lower the gauge number the heavier/thicker the cord).
  • Cords cannot exceed 10 feet in length. Cords cannot impede safe traffic in the unit.
  • Cords must not be pinched in doors.
  • Only ONE appliance may be plugged into a multi-plug adapter.
  • Only UL approved multi-plug adapters with circuit breakers are permitted.
  • Under no circumstances are residents permitted to overload the electrical system.


The University is not liable for damage to or loss of personal property or failure or interruption of utilities. Students are encouraged to review family homeowner's insurance policy or to carry personal renter's insurance. There are several insurance companies that specialize in providing coverage for college students who live away from home.


The Department does not have space for storing resident items, excess room furniture, boxes or other items. The furniture in your room upon check-in must remain in the room. The resident will be charged for any furniture items missing upon checkout. Residents will be charged a removal fee for any items left in the room/unit upon check-out.


  • Items that are prohibited, illegal to possess or pose danger to the safety of the individual or University Housing community, or which violate state or federal laws, University policy or Department of Housing and Residence Life policy, are subject to removal. The possession of illegal items may result in criminal prosecution, immediate disciplinary action, or both. Illegal items will be turned over to the Police.
  • Residents will be asked to immediately dispose of any item(s) in violation of University Housing rules or University Housing personnel will remove the item(s). If an item is removed, the resident will be issued documentation indicating the removal and labeling of the item.
  • At the discretion of the Housing Staff, confiscated items will be returned after the resident checks out of University Housing.
  • Requests for removed items to be returned prior to the resident checking out of University will be evaluated on a case-by case basis by the Housing and Residence Life Staff
  • All removed property will be considered abandoned property if the resident does not request it's return in writing to the Housing and Residence Life Office within 5 business days following the end of the semester or the resident's check out of the space, (See also Abandoned Property). Abandoned property will be discarded.

Sign in to use the pins