What Is Considered Adequate Insurance?
- Your health insurance company must be licensed to do business in the State of Florida and coverage must extend to the Miami Dade/Broward county area.
- Coverage must remain in effect while enrolled for classes.
- The premium must be paid in full for the semester in which you are enrolled; premium payments submitted on a monthly basis are not considered continuous coverage.
- Access to primary and specialty care in Miami Dade/Broward County.
- Hospital Emergency Room/Urgent Care Center only coverage is not accepted
- Inpatient hospital coverage for Medical and Mental Health issues.
- The insurance plan must pay for services directly to physicians and/or hospitals.
- Reimbursable plans are not accepted.
- Prescriptive Medication Coverage (Unlimited coverage with copayment)
- An individual deductible not to exceed $2,500.00 per policy year
- Plans with a Health Savings Account (HSA) and/or a Federal Savings Account (FSA), are exempt from this requirement.
- Outpatient Mental Health and Substance Abuse coverage.
Note: International plans are not accepted. International students may not waive this coverage unless they have private health insurance coverage with a U.S. insurance plan (i.e., Aetna, Cigna, BCBS or United Healthcare)
Mandatory Health Insurance Process
Students MUST complete the insurance waiver and upload a copy of their insurance card within the first 30 days of the semester. The insurance cost is nonrefundable after the waiver period.
Step 1: Register For Classes -This must be done before you can complete any of the processes below.
Step 2: Check Your Barry Student Email! Barry email is the official form of communication for the University. You will receive an email 24-48 hours after registering to notify you of the billing and instructions for waiving or activating the student insurance plan. Be sure to read all of the information in the email that is sent to you. You will not be able to complete the waiver or activation process until you receive the email notice.
Step 3: Go to The Link Provided in the Email (https://studentcenter.uhcsr.com) and choose either WAIVE COVERAGE to request to have your private insurance considered and the student insurance charge removed from your account OR, ENROLL to accept enrollment in the student insurance plan and activate the coverage. You will need to provide your student ID number to access the link and if you choose to waive the plan you will need your health insurance card. After you submit the waiver, you will receive an automatic response of acceptance or decline. You may contact Student Health Services for any questions regarding declined waivers.
Important: Waiver Submission Deadlines
Waiver Opens: The online waiver process will be available from the first day of registration for the semester in which the student is registering (fall or spring), through the first 30 days of the registering semester. Students beginning classes in the fall semester must complete the insurance waiver each subsequent fall semester. New students beginning classes in the spring semester will be required to complete a waiver in spring and again in the fall of the same year and each subsequent fall semester. PLEASE NOTE: Students will not have access to the waiver process until they have been registered. Students will receive an email notification with the link to the waiver site when they are able to complete the waiver process. You must check your Barry Student Email!