Medical Withdrawal Policy

Medical Withdrawal Policy

Requests for medical withdrawal should be discussed with the academic advisor, referred to the Office of the Dean of Students and, follow the regulations provided in the Barry University Student Handbook.  There are no partial medical withdrawals for a term and withdrawals will not be done retroactively.

The Dean of Students renders a decision for re-admission to the University, not re-admission to individual schools or divisions (majors).  This is the prerogative of the respective deans.  Dialogue regarding re-admission to a particular school or college is the responsibility of the individual student.  

Voluntary Medical Withdrawal From The University 

Students may apply for a voluntary medical withdrawal (VMW) in the Dean of Students Office if they need to leave school to address a health-related condition that significantly impairs their ability to function successfully or safely as a member of the university community. A VMW is intended only for serious medical or psychological conditions, which may involve hospitalizations, intensive treatment or similar conditions or events. In these instances, time away from the university for treatment and recovery can often restore functioning to a level that will enable a student to return to the university and successfully complete the program.

Requests (including medical documentation) will be reviewed in a timely fashion by the Dean of Students and be either approved or denied. Medical documentation, that may include a recommendation from a university healthcare provider or an appropriately qualified medical or mental health professional, must be provided. There may be times when the Dean of Students will consult with Student Health Services or Counseling and Psychological Services about the request and the provided documentation.

Eligibility for a VMW is limited to students who have not completed the entire coursework and assignments needed to receive a final grade.

If the requested VMW is denied, the student will receive notification of this decision and offered the option to proceed with a Voluntary Withdrawal (which will result in grades of WF if submitted past the voluntary withdrawal deadline) or to discontinue the process, which will result in the student remaining in all enrolled courses.

If the requested VMW is approved, the student will be withdrawn from the University and receive a grade of “W” in all enrolled courses. Residential students will be required to move out of their residence halls.

A student approved for a VMW will be notified in writing, at the time of the student's withdrawal, of any conditions that must be satisfied (in addition to the university’s Readmittance Policy) for the student to return to the university. Such conditions will be determined on an individual basis. Returning students may also be required to meet additional conditions and/or adjust their plans of study based upon program, professional accreditation, and/or licensing requirements.

Students who are out of school on a voluntary medical withdrawal should submit such documentation to Dean of Students Office at least two weeks prior to their desired return date to allow the university time to evaluate the documentation. Select programs may have specific start and stop dates that must be followed.

Returning students may not have immediate access to some courses, primarily due to course sequencing, progression requirements, student clinical placements and faculty-student ratios. An individualized curriculum plan will be provided to the returning student by the academic advisor at the time of re-entry. Students who are unable to return after a one-year leave of absence will be withdrawn from the program and would need to re-apply for admission. Readmission is not guaranteed.

A student who is returning to the university after an approved VMW may be eligible for a tuition credit equal to the amount of adjusted tuition charged for the semester the student was unable to complete due to the VMW voluntary medical withdrawal. However, to be eligible, the student will need to return within 12 months. This credit can only be applied toward tuition charges for the semester in which the student returns.

The voluntary medical withdrawal process is not meant to be an accommodation for students who have diagnosed, chronic conditions. Students who have such conditions should contact the Office of Accessibility Services to request necessary accommodations put into place for viable access to their courses.

Checklist for students considering a medical withdrawal:

  1. Meet with academic advisor and discuss how the withdrawal would affect student’s standing in the program and/or sequence of needed classes.
  2. Meet with the Dean of Students to discuss the withdrawal. 
  3. Obtain documentation from a physician or a mental health practitioner outlining why there is a need for a medical withdrawal and how long the student will need to be out of classes.  Bring or scan this documentation to the Dean of Students.
  4. The Dean of Students will notify student that documentation has been approved and will start the medical withdrawal process.  Copies of paperwork will be sent to the student, academic advisor and faculty. 

For both voluntary and required leaves, the policy on refunds contained in the Student Handbook and/or University Catalogue will apply. 

Involuntary Medical Withdrawal From The University

This policy is meant to be administered by the Dean or Students when a student is unable or unwilling to request a voluntary medical withdrawal and such a withdrawal may be necessary because the student’s behavior severely disrupts and/or threatens the University’s learning environment.  Before an involuntary medical withdrawal is considered, efforts will be made to encourage the student to take a voluntary medical withdrawal.  The Dean of Students may require an evaluation from either the Center for Counseling and Psychological Services and/or the Student Health Center in order to facilitate an informed decision.

Medical Withdrawal Re-Enrollment

To re-enroll at the University following a medical withdrawal, a student must contact the Dean of Students.  The student must secure a letter from the primary treatment provider that includes dates of treatment, treatment progress, treatment plan, and a recommendation to resume coursework at the University.  The Dean of Students will confer with the director of the Center for Counseling and Psychological Services and/or the director of the Student Health Services before clearing the student for registration.  If a student has other registration holds, then those must be cleared with the respective departments in order for registration to occur.

Again, please note that the Dean of Students renders a decision for re-admission to the University, not re-admission to individual schools or divisions (majors).  This is the prerogative of the respective academic deans.  Dialogue regarding re-admission to a particular school or college is the responsibility of the individual student

Sign in to use the pins