J-1 Categories at Barry University
Is an individual that may participate in degree and non-degree programs.
Qualifications: Students are eligible for the exchange visitor program if at any time during their college studies in the Unites States:
- They or their program are financed directly or indirectly by the United States government; the government of the student’s country; or an international organization of which the U.S. is a member by treaty or statute.
- The programs are carried out pursuant to an agreement between the U.S. Government and a foreign govern
- The programs are carried out pursuant to written agreement between the U.S. and foreign educational institutions; a U.S. educational institution and a foreign government; or a state or local government in the U.S. and a foreign government.
- The exchange visitors are supported substantially by funding from any source other than personal or family funds
The length of stay for J-1 students are authorized to participate in the Exchange Visitor Program as a long as they are either: enrolled in a full course of study at the institution listed on their DS-2019 and maintaining normal academic progress toward their degree, or , participating in an authorized academic training program.
An individual primarily teaching, lecturing, observing or consulting at Barry University from 3 weeks to 5 years in duration. This cannot be used for a tenure track position. The visiting professor must have the minimum equivalent of an earned US Bachelor’s degree with extensive additional research experience. The maximum stay is five (5) years.
An individual primarily conducting research, observing or consulting in connection with a research at Barry University from 3 weeks to 5 years in duration. This cannot be used for a tenure track position. The visiting scholar must have the minimum equivalent of an earned US Bachelor’s degree with extensive additional research experience. The maximum stay is five (5) years.
A professor, research scholar, specialist, or a person with similar education or accomplishments coming to Barry University for a short-term visit of 1 day to 6 months for the purpose of lecturing, observing, consulting, training, or demonstrating a special skill at Barry University. The maximum stay is six (6) months.
An individual who is an expert in a field of specialized knowledge or skill coming to Barry University for observing, consulting, or demonstrating this knowledge or skill for up to one year. The individual can receive a stipend if arranged prior to the visit but cannot fill a line position at Barry University. The maximum stay is one (1) year.
To be eligible for the J-1 visa an individual must meet the following criteria:
- Must plan to remain in the U.S. for a temporary, specific, limited period
- Must plan to carry out a specific activity, such as study or research, that qualifies for the J-1 category
- Must be able to prove that they have “a residence abroad which he has no intention of abandoning,” usually shown by evidence of social and economic ties abroad; and other binding ties which will ensure the return abroad; and other binding ties which will ensure the return abroad at the end of exchange program.
- Must have a faculty/department sponsor or temporary academic appointment at Barry University such as a postdoctoral/research fellow, or faculty member
- Must have adequate financial support for all living expenses, including additional financial support for any accompanying family members, either from Barry University or any other sources
- Must maintain health insurance which covers for sicknesses or accidents during the period of time when they are in J status. Failure to maintain health insurance coverage may jeopardize a J visa holder’s status.
|Exchange Visitor Category||Description of Activity||Minimum Program Duration||Maximum Program Duration|
|College and University Student||Non Degree|
|Three weeks||24 months|
Duration of Status (D/S)
|Research Scholar & Professor||Engage in research, teaching, and lecturing||Three weeks||5 years|
|Short-term Scholar||Lecturing, observing, consulting, training, or demonstrating special skills||1 day||6 months|
|Specialist||Experts in their field coming to observe, consult, or demonstrate their special skills||Three weeks||One year|