Frequently Asked Questions

Student Accounts

Student Accounts FAQS

  • In compliance with Federal regulations, the University must obtain the voluntary permission from the student (or parent if a Parent PLUS loan) to apply Federal Student Aid to pay charges related to a prior term or charges other than tuition, fees and room & board on the student account.

  • Subsidized and Unsubsidized Stafford loans, PLUS loans, Perkins loans, Pell Grants, SEOG, TEACH Grant and any other federal aid. The University does not need authorization to apply funds from a private loan to any charges incurred.

  • Yes. By allowing permission any excess federal aid could be applied to a prior term or other charges such as Health Insurance or ID charges. More importantly, this will help prevent an "account hold" due to unpaid charges, which could block registering for future terms or receiving official documents such as transcripts or diplomas.

  • No. once you give permission it remains in affect while you are enrolled at the University. Permission may be rescinded at any time.

  • You can login to Colleague Self Service Student Portal to give permission to use Federal Student Aid to cover all your charges.

  • All students are being asked for their authorization. If at some point in the future you do receive Federal Student Aid this authorization will already be in place.

  • Nothing will change from what is being done now. You will be continuing to allow the University to use your Federal Student Aid to cover all charges on your account.

  • The Student Services Fee is a university fee assessed to all students enrolled at Barry University.

  • The Student Services Fee amount is based on how the tuition is charged, the term, and number of credits. If you have tuition cost that is a flat tuition rate, the maximum amount will be charged for the term.  Please review the tuition and fees page for cost.

  • The Student Services Fee will be covered by most forms of Financial Aid.

  • The Convenience Fee is a fee assessed to the credit/debit card user when making a credit/debit card payment to Barry University. It covers the costs of processing credit/debit card payments.

  • The Convenience Fee is assessed by our third party processor. Barry will not receive any of the convenience fee. It will not appear on your student account. Two line items will appear on the credit/debit card account or bank statement; one transaction is the student account payment and the other transaction is the convenience fee.

  • The Convenience Fee is currently 2.85% of the payment amount. Example: a payment of $100 will be assessed a $2.85 convenience fee. A total of $102.85 will be charged to the cardholder. Only the $100 payment will show on the student account.

  • The Convenience Fee is only for credit/debit card payment transactions.

  • Yes. It is not uncommon for Colleges and Universities to either pass on the convenience fees to the cardholder or even eliminate credit/debit card transactions all together. Barry University wants to continue to offer the option to pay by credit/debit card.

Form 1098-T FAQs

Watch the How to Access 1098-T Forms video or download this self-service guide. If you have any additional questions, you can contact

  • Your Form 1098-T will be available to you electronically on or before January 31st through the Colleague Self-Service Portal (Student Portal) for viewing and Printing Your 1098-T Tax Form. 

  • Section 6050S of the Internal Revenue U.S. Code requires eligible educational institutions to file information returns to assist taxpayers in determining the amount of qualified tuition and related expenses for which an educational tax credit is allowable. 1098-T forms are made available to students by January 31 each year.

  • Receipt of a 1098-T form indicates a student was enrolled in at least one academic credit course at Barry University during the past calendar year. It does not mean that you are eligible for a tuition and fees deduction, American Opportunity Credit (AOTC), or Lifetime Learning Credit. According to federal tax regulations, determination of qualified charges and payments is the responsibility of the taxpayer.

  • Educational institutions are required to report the payments made for tuition and qualified expenses (QTRE) during a calendar year.

    Box 1. Payments Received for Qualified Tuition and Related Expenses.

    Box 2. Blank.

    Box 3. Blank.

    Box 4. Adjustments Made for a Prior Years Payments received. Enter reimbursements or refunds of qualified tuition and related expenses made in the prior year that relate to payments received.

    These requirements also apply to an adjustment made in connection with a nonresident alien for which the educational institution filed and furnished a Form 1098-T for the prior year.

    Box 5. Scholarships and Grants, includes any scholarships and grants processed during the calendar year for the payment of the students’ cost of attendance. Scholarships and grants generally include all payments received from third parties (excluding family members and loan proceeds) including payments received from governmental and private entities such as the Department of Veterans Affairs, civic and religious organizations, and nonprofit entities.

    Box 6. Adjustments to Scholarships or Grants for a Prior Year.

    Box 7. Checkbox for Amounts for an Academic Period Beginning in January Through March of the following year.

    Check this box if any payments received for qualified tuition and related expenses reported for the prior year relate to an academic period that begins in January through March of the following year.

    Check this box if any payments received for qualified tuition and related expenses reported for the prior year relate to an academic period that begins in January through March the following year.

    Box 8. Check if at Least Half-Time Student.

    Box 9. Check if Graduate Student.

    Box 10. Insurance Contract Reimbursements or Refunds. Blank.

    For a detailed explanation of each box on the 1098T Form, please see the "Instructions to Student" printed on the form.

  • You can print in Student Accounts Portal an Accounts Receivable (AR) statement itemizing your student account activity during the calendar year by clicking on the AR Statement for the 1098-T Tax Year link under 1098-T Tuition Statement.

    For further information about charges and credits, call:

    LAW STUDENTS: (321) 206-5636
    MAIN CAMPUS AMD PACE: (Main Campus): (305) 899-3030

    NOTE: Barry University does not provide tax advice.

  • Any qualified tuition and fees billed in calendar year 2023 for the Spring Semester 2024 will be included in the 2023 1098-T Form. Box 7 accounts for payments received for an academic period beginning in January through March.

  • Each year, students who are eligible to receive a 1098-T form but have no current mailing address or social security number on file with the university are sent an email from the Registrar’s Office instructing them on how to go about updating the missing information. Please check your school email for this notification and ensure that the Registrar’s Office has the appropriate information on file. 

    If the university does not have your current address and/or your social security number on file, you will not receive a 1098-T form. Please contact the Registrar’s Office at 305-899-3860 for instructions on how to update your personal information or email Please include your full name, phone number, student ID, and email address. You will be contacted in a timely manner. 

  • A student’s social security number is critical to receiving a 1098-T form. The IRS mandates that no tax form can be created without a valid SSN. To avoid not receiving a 1098-T form from the university, each student with a valid SSN must supply that number to the Registrar’s Office on Barry’s main campus or go to their site manager or advisor at an off-site location. When that SSN is input into the system, a 1098-T form can be created.

    In January, every student who is eligible to receive a 1098-T form but does not show a social security number on file will receive an email from the university’s Registrar informing them of such and instructing the student what to do to get their social security number on file.

    If you have a social security number, please ensure that the Registrar’s Office has it on file.

  • Contact the IRS at or consult with a professional tax preparer or advisor. The following online resources may also be helpful:

  • Per the IRS, the University is not required to furnish a Form 1098-T in the following instances:

    • Payment for course for which no academic credit is offered, even if the student is otherwise in a degree program.
    • Enrolled student is a nonresident alien.
    • Students whose qualified tuition and related expenses are entirely waived or paid entirely with grants/scholarships.
    • Students for whom the University does not maintain a separate financial account and whose qualified tuition and related expenses are covered by a formal billing arrangement between the University and the student’s employer or a governmental entity such as the Department of Veteran Affairs or the Department of Defense.

Sign in to use the pins