Student Health Services is staffed by board certified health care providers that have a commitment to quality health care delivery to the University population. As a member of the Division of Mission and Student Engagement (formally Student Affairs), we support the mission to encourage students to be active and involved in their personal health and wellness. This will contribute to their academic success and social development during their time at Barry University and will provide life skills to take students into their professional careers. Student Health Services collaborates with the Center for Psychological Services, Office of Accessibility Services and Health Promotion. All registered students (excluding those enrolled in online programs only) are welcome to utilize Student Health Services. Graduate and PACE students will be billed the Student Health Access fee upon their first primary care visit of the semester.
- Student Health Services provides care for all routine medical illnesses and injuries. In addition, services include evaluation and treatment of common illnesses, dermatology or skin diseases, and women’s health well physicals and specialty care referrals.
- Onsite CLIA waived lab testing (Strep, Flu, Mono, Pregnancy, Urine dips, BV)*.
- Lab work that is ordered by the SHS provider can be obtained on campus and will be sent to a local lab. SHS makes every effort to send outside labs to laboratories that accept the student’s private insurance. All outside lab fees are the students’ responsibility.
- SHS has an onsite prescription dispensary for medications prescribed by the SHS provider. The cost of most medications are included in the mandatory Student Health Fee (SHAP)
- Access to select over the counter medications
- Insurance Compliance and Administration
- Travel Health Requirements
- Community Health Care referrals
Most services are covered by the student health fee (Student Health Access Plan) or the student health insurance through UHCSR. For students with private insurance, certain services like immunizations, select medications and in-house lab testing will be offered at a discounted rate and deferred to the student account for payment.
Services Not Offered
- X-rays and other sophisticated diagnostic testing
- Specialty physician care
- Dental care
- Vision Care
- Emergency care after-hours Overnight infirmary services
- Student transportation
Services Not Offered
- Class Excusals: Student Health Services does not issue notes if you miss a class due to illness. If you miss class due to a health problem, we recommend that you notify your professor by e-mail or phone as soon as possible. If you have an extended illness that requires hospitalization or extended care, please contact the Dean of Students Office.
After Hours Care
- Student Health Services is open Monday through Friday from 9 AM to 5 PM. During the Evenings and weekends students have access to telehealth services through Healthiest You. This serviceprovides24/7 access to board certified health care providers via telephone or Video chat. This service is free for students insured through the UHCSR student health insurance plan. For students with private insurance, check your insurance card for a similar service. If you do not have access to telehealth, you can utilize Healthiest You at a cost of $45 per service.
- Medi-Station Urgent Care is located less than one mile from Barry’s main campus. They accept most insurance plans and they are open in the evenings and weekends.
9600 NE 2 AVE
Miami Shores, Florida 33138
Confidentiality Of Health Information
All Student Health Services records and visits are absolutely confidential. No medical information will be released to anyone, either verbally or in writing, without the student’s written consent. If you would like the provider at Student Health Services to discuss an illness or injury with anyone other than yourself, , a written consent form needs to be signed by you to allow that.