School Counseling provides students with the knowledge and skills to develop, implement, and evaluate a PK-12 comprehensive developmental guidance program. Particular attention is given to the multiple roles and responsibilities which a guidance counselor may fulfill in a school setting. The curriculum of this specialization meets the academic requirements for certification in PK-12 Guidance and Counseling by the Florida Department of Education.
Core Courses (42 credits)
|CSL 501||Orientation to the Counseling Profession|
|CSL 588||Crisis Intervention|
|CSL 600||Legal & Ethical Issues in Counseling|
|CSL 610||Human Growth and Development|
|CSL 621||Psychological Measurements|
|CSL 629||Social and Cultural Issues in Counseling|
|CSL 652||Individual Counseling Procedures|
|CSL 653||Career Development and Life Work Planning|
|CSL 658||Group Counseling Procedures|
|CSL 680||Family Counseling and Therapy|
|CSL 686||Counseling Theories and Interventions|
|CSL 694||Counseling Practicum (6 credits)|
|EDR 601||Methodology of Research|
School Counseling (18 credits)
The School Counseling specialization program in counseling meets the academic requirements for certification as a school counselor in the State of Florida.
|CSL 586||Student Services Personnel within the Public Schools|
|CSL 612||Child Guidance and Therapy|
|SPY 571||Exceptionality in Learning and behavior|
|CSL 682||Consultation Procedures|
|CSL 699c||Internship in School Counseling (6 credits)|
Students seeking Guidance and Counseling certification in Florida must:
- Complete and pass the following courses:
- TSL 500 Comprehensive ESOL Strategies
- SPY 620 Behavior Modificatoin
- EDU 567 Foundations of Reading Instruction
- Pass the General Knowledge, Professional Knowledge and Subject Area tests of the Florida Teacher Certification Exam (FTCE) and provided documentation to this effect to their advisor.
- Demonstrate competency in the 6 Florida Educator Accomplished Practices.