The purpose of the Office of Disability Services is to provide information, advocacy, and academic accommodations to those students with documented physical, psychological, visual, speech, hearing, and learning disabilities.
Disability Services supports the caring environment of Barry Univerisity through its fostering of one-on-one relationships with students, while assuring their human and legal rights.
The Office of Disability Services strives to provide a holistic educational experience, which prepares each student to be united and equal with the non-disabled population.
- Learning Disabilities
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
- Blind and Visually Impairment
- Deaf and /or hard of hearingv
- Physical Impairments
- Psychiatric / Psychological Disorders
- Temporary Disabilities
Registering for Accommodations
You must be enrolled in Barry University to receive accommodations from the Office of Disability Services. The Office of Disability Services provides accommodations for eligible students on a case-by-case basis in compliance with Federal and state laws.
Procedure for Receiving Accommodations
- Submit proper documentation (see documentation guidelines).
- Make an appointment with a Disability Services Counselor for an intake interview. Accommodations will be discussed at that time.
- If it is determined that you will receive accommodations, it is your responsibility to make contact with Disability Services at the beginning of each semester to continue accommodations.
Each student who registers with the Office of Disability Services works with a Disability Service Counselor to develop an individual accommodation plan. This plan is devised to determine specific services you will require during your time at Barry University.
The following are a few of the accommodations and services commonly requested through the Office of Disability Services. This is not intended to be a comprehensive list.
- Four-function calculator
- Extended time
- Adapted writing surface
- Distraction Reduced Environment
- Cassette player/recorder
- Volunteer note takers
- Sign language interpreters
- Textbooks on tape
- Priority registration
- Registration assistance
- Campus disability awareness programs
- Classroom and learning strategies
- Letters to instructors
- Faculty development
- Assist students in self-advocating
- Pre-admission counseling
The Office of Disability Services will arrange for any accommodations that are reasonable and do not compromise academic standards.
Tutoring services are not offered through the Office of Disability Services. However, there are many tutoring services available to all students, such as the Writing Lab, the Math Lab, and tutors sponsored by various departments.
This website is for general information only. Note that services or accommodations received from other institutions may not be automatically granted at Barry University. Please contact the Office of Disability Services for specific information concerning your needs. The Office of Disability Services reserves the right to change information at any time.
Click here to download the intake forms (3 pages, 105 kb).
You will need the free Adobe Acrobat Reader to open and print these forms.