Carmen L. McCrink, PhD
Associate Professor and Chair, Higher Education Administration Department
PhD, Higher Education Administration and History, University of Miami
MS, Reading, Writing and Literacy, University of Pennsylvania
MS, Educational Leadership, University of Miami
BS, Business Education, Florida International University
Carmen L. McCrink serves as Associate Professor and Department Chair of the Higher Education Administration at Barry University. She serves as the School of Education representative on the University's Institutional Review Board. Prior to her employment with Barry University, Dr. McCrink worked for Miami-Dade College serving as Associate Dean and Executive Director of Federal and State funded grant programs. Given her tenure as an administrator and faculty member at the community college and university levels, Dr. McCrink has interest and expertise in areas such as community colleges; teaching and learning; curriculum development; internationalization of higher education; reading, writing, and literacy studies; Hispanic research issues; and critical thinking. Dr. McCrink teaches the Dissertation Seminar course, at Barry University, and has chaired a number of dissertation committees in the areas of leadership and higher education. Dr. McCrink's latest (2017-2014) contributions to scholarship are listed below. Dr. McCrink is on the editorial boards of the Journal of Hispanic Higher Education, SAGE Publications, the Journal of Urban Learning, Teaching, and Research, AERA, and the Inquiry in Education (online) Journal, National Louis University, Chicago. She is reviewer for the American Educational Research Association and the Comparative International and International Education Society on an annual basis. During her sabbatical (2009), Dr. McCrink completed a second master's degree in reading, writing, and literacy studies at the University of Pennsylvania and was invited to teach a "Seminar on Community Colleges" as part of the University's Executive Doctorate in Higher Education.
- McCrink, C. L., & Whitford, H. (Eds.) (in press). (2017, March). Global development of the community college model. New Directions for Community Colleges, 177. San Francisco, CA: Wiley Periodicals.
- Whitford, H., McCrink, C. L. (2015, November). Student affairs administrators and the undocumented student experience: Exploring inequality and social justice in Florida higher education. Paper presented at the Association for the Study of Higher Education Annual Conference, Denver, CO.
- Gesser, V., Whitford, H., & McCrink, C. L. (2015, June). Learning as an interdisciplinary process: Perceptions of graduate students from different cultures. Paper presented at the Interdisciplinary Social Sciences Conference, Split, Croatia.
- McCrink, C. L., Gesser, V., & Whitford, H. (2015, March). Contextualizing a model for the internationalization of the Ph.D. through the lens of Brazilian and U.S. faculty in different disciplines. Paper presented at the 2015 International Conference on Doctoral Education, Orlando, FL.
- Whitford, H., & McCrink, C. L. (2014). Contextualizing the higher education pathways of undocumented students: An exploration of policy and practice using a framework of intersectionality. In D. Mitchell, C. Simmons, & L. Greyerbiehl (Eds.), Intersectionality & higher education: Theory, research, and praxis (pp. 55-67). New York, NY: Peter Lang Publishing.
- McCrink, C. L (2014, October). Mission engagement dialogue project: Learning, reflecting, and serving as an institutional ecosystem. Paper presented at the International Association for Research in Service Learning and Community Engagement Annual Conference, New Orleans, LA.
- McCrink, C. L., & Whitford, H. (2014, March). Investigating the development of the community college system in Chile through the lens of organizational learning. Paper presented at the Comparative and International Education Society Annual Conference, Toronto, Canada.