Christopher D. Jones, PhD
Assistant Professor of Theological Ethics and Director of the Doctor of Ministry Program
Chris Jones joined the Barry faculty in 2015, and currently serves as Assistant Professor of Theological Ethics and Director of the Doctor of Ministry Program. He earned a BA in philosophy from Taylor University, an MAR in philosophical theology from Yale Divinity School, an MPhil in Christian ethics from the University of Oxford, and a PhD in theological ethics from Boston College.
Chris's scholarly interests are in science and ethics, ethical concepts and methodology, healthcare ethics, social ethics, and the history of theological ethics. He is a member of the American Academy of Religion and the Society of Christian Ethics, and is in the ordination process for the priesthood in The Episcopal Church.
- "Sloth: America's Ironic Structural Vice" with Conor Kelly, Journal of the Society of Christian Ethics 37, no. 2 (2017): 117-134.
- "The Historical and Ecumenical Value of Kenneth Kirk's Anglican Moral Theology," forthcoming in Theological Studies.
- Clark Berge, The Vows Book: Anglican Teaching on the Vows of Obedience, Poverty and Chastity (Mt. Sinai, NY: Vest Pocket Publications, 2014), for Theological Studies (forthcoming)
- Nigel Biggar, Behaving in Public: How to Do Christian Ethics (Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans, 2011), for Anglican Theological Review, Vol. 94, No. 1 (Winter, 2012), pp. 109-112.
- David E. White, ed., The Works of Bishop Butler (Rochester, NY: University of Rochester Press, 2006), for Faith & Philosophy, Vol. 28, No. 3 (July, 2011), pp. 365-368.
- Craig A. Boyd, A Shared Morality: A Narrative Defense of Natural Law Ethics (Grand Rapids, MI: Brazos Press, 2007), and J. Daryl Charles, Retrieving the Natural Law: A Return to Moral First Things (Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans, 2008), for Studies in Christian Ethics, Vol. 23, No. 3 (August, 2010), pp. 321-324.
- "The Cure of Souls: Common Concepts & Practices in Medicine & Spirituality," at 7th Annual Conference on Medicine and Religion: Examining the Foundations of Medicine and Religion, April 14, 2018 [forthcoming].
- "Sloth: America's Ironic Structural Vice" with Conor Kelly, Society of Christian Ethics Annual Meeting, January 6, 2017.
- "The Virtue of Gratitude in Theological & Psychological Perspective," 5th Annual Conference on Medicine and Religion: Approaching the Sacredâ€”Science, Health, and Practices of Care, March 5, 2016.
- "Acedia: A Spiritual & Mental Health Issue," 4th Annual Conference on Medicine and Religion: Spiritual Dimensions of Illness and Healing, March 7, 2015.
- "Distinguishing Acedia from the Replacement Model," Workshop on Religious Experience and Moral Identity, Center for Theological Inquiry, June 5, 2014.
- "Ecumenical Ethics for the 21st Century: Lessons from Kenneth Kirk," Visions of Hope: Emerging Theologians Envision the Future, Boston College, March 9-11, 2012. [Poster]
- "'The Pure in Heart Will See God': Purification & Contemplation in Augustine's De Trinitate," Archbishop Iakovos Graduate Student Conference in Patristic Studies, Pappas Patristic Institute, Holy Cross Greek Orthodox School of Theology, March 10, 2012.
- Sloth & Human Flourishing
- "Casuistry of the Prophetic Ethos: Karl Barth and Kenneth Kirk on Moral Reasoning"
- "The Candle of the Lord': Joseph Butler on Conscience & Self-Decei"
- THE 201: Theology: Faith, Beliefs, & Traditions
- THE 311: Sexuality, Sex, and Morality
- THE 312: Freedom & Virtue
- THE 647: New Trends in Moral Theology
- THE 655: Principles of Christian Morality
- THE 665: Historical Resolutions in Moral Theology
- THE 701: Topics in Moral Theology
- THE 802: Doctoral Ministerial Formation & Professional Ethics