DD 214

What is a DD 214?

The Department of Defense issues each Veteran a DD 214, identifying the Veteran’s condition of discharge.

Why is the DD 214 Important?

The report of separation contains information normally needed to verify military service for benefits, retirement, employment and membership in veterans’ organizations.

Where can I find my Military Records/Acquire the DD 214?

Most veteran’s records are stored at the National Archives and Records Administration’s National Personnel Records Center, Military Personnel Records (NPRC-MPR or NPRC). Starting in 1995, service departments gradually began retaining their personnel records in an electronic format and all but the Coast Guard have stopped transferring them to the NPRC. The NPRC does not have records of members who are still in the active or inactive reserves or the National Guard.

If you were separated from the service after 1995, your military branch may have your records.

Military separation prior to1995:

NPRC Fax Number:

NPRC Mailing Address:
National Personnel Records Center
Military Personnel Records
9700 Page Avenue
St. Louis, MO 63132-5100

Military Separation after 1995: Please refer to the left hand menu under “Credit for Military and Prior Learning.”