Educational benefits are available to qualified veterans and dependents accepted into degree seeking and certificate programs approved by the Florida State Approving Agency for Veterans’ Training. Determination of eligibility for educational benefits will be made by the VA.
It is the responsibility of the student to become familiar with the procedures and regulations concerning satisfactory standards of progress in order to insure proper and prompt payment of benefits due.
Military, Veterans, and Dependents who plan to utilize their VA educational benefits should contact one of the referenced VA School Certifying Officials for student specific guidance in applying VA Education Benefits at Barry University.
Explore the different types of VA benefits for education available by visiting VA Educational Programs
If you are:
★ a NEW STUDENT at Barry University OR
★ a PRIOR STUDENT and have not attended Barry University within the last year
Please use the VA Education Benefit Form Finder designed to assist military affiliated students with the VA Education Benefits Application. This tool does not submit nor completes any of the requirements to establish benefits at Barry University. If you have any questions while and/or after using this tool, please use the contact tab to the left in order for our office to further assist.
Please use the link below to access the VA EDUCATION BENEFIT FORM FINDER:
Important Reminder For Current Students:
Students are responsible to submit a VA Certification Request each term after they have registered for the semester/term. You do not need to submit this if you do not wish to use VA Education Benefits for the registered semester/term.
Please use the link below to access the VA CERTIFICATION REQUEST:
Certification Procedures & Timeline:
Barry University follows the Dual Certification Process each semester/term for eligible chapters.
The Dual Certification process means Barry University reports your credit/clock hours to the Department of Veterans Affairs with zero tuition and fees known as Enrollment Certification.
This allows the school to certify an enrollment in a timely manner while ensuring the student receives housing allowance, books and supplies stipend and; it allows for more precise report from the schools when they certify tuition and fees to prevent overpayments to the school.
- *Enrollment Certifications are processed once the VA CERTIFICATION REQUEST has been submitted by the student after they have registered for the semester/term. Once the VA CERTIFICATION REQUEST is received we will process the enrollment certification within 3-5 business days. The student will receive a VA Once system email to their student email account as confirmation the VA CERTIFICATION REQUEST has been processed.
- **Tuition and Fees Certifications begin to be processed after the semester/term add/drop period. Processing time for tuition and fees reporting takes 7-10 business days after add/drop period.
Note: The processing times stated above is Barry University processing times.
*Enrollment Certifications are processed for all students eligible and using VA Education Benefits at Barry University once you have submitted the required documentation at this institution.
**Tuition and Fees Certifications are processed only for students using and eligible for Post-9/11 GI Bill and Veteran Readiness & Employment (VR&E) once you have submitted the required documentation at this institution.
Tuition And Fees Reported To The VA
Due to the changes with the Post 9/11 GI Bill® that went into effect in August 2011, the Veterans Administration requires schools to deduct institutional aid and grants that are designated solely for tuition and fees when certifying your enrollment for the semester.
Financial aid awards to be deducted before reporting your tuition and fees to the VA include the following:
Please note if the any of the following are awarded to your student account/balance after tuition and fees have been reported to the VA, the School Certifying Official is required to report a certification adjustment to resubmit the correct tuition and fees.
- Barry Scholarships
- Presidential Scholarship
- Trustee Award
- Dean’s Award
- Red, Black, and Silver
- Achievement Award
- Barry University Award
- Effective Access to Student Education Grant (EASE), formerly known as Florida Resident Access Grant (FRAG)
- Any award/discount requiring the submission of the Tuition Discount Application
- Any other types of institutional aid designated for tuition and fees
If you have any questions about any of the deductible aid stated above, you may contact a VA School Certifying Official for further information via email at email@example.com
Title IV Financial aid funds are not deducted from tuition reported to the VA and include the following:
- Barry Access Grant
- PELL Grant
- Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)
- Florida Student Assistance Grant (FSAG)
- Work Study
- Stafford, Perkins and Parent PLUS Loans
THE VA DOES NOT COVER ANY FEES RELATED TO PRIOR LEARNING CREDIT. THIS INCLUDES BUT IS NOT LIMITED TO:
- National Testing Programs (CLEP, COMPASS, DSST)
- Portfolio Review/assessment
- Challenge exams/test out Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)
- Correspondence CoursesFlorida Student Assistance Grant (FSAG)
- Corporate TrainingWork Study
- Advanced Individual Training (AIT) or Occupational Specialties from DD 214 or Joint Services TranscriptStafford, Perkins and Parent PLUS Loans
VA PENDING PAYMENT COMPLIANCE
In accordance with Title 38 US Code 3679 subsection (e), Barry University adopts the following additional provisions for any students using U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Post 9/11 G.I. Bill® (Ch. 33) or Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment (Ch. 31) benefits, while payment to the institution is pending from the VA.
Barry University will not:
- Prevent the student's enrollment on pending VA funds;
- Assess a late penalty fee to the student on pending VA funds;
- Require the student to secure alternative or additional funding;
- Deny the student access to any resources (access to classes, libraries, or other institutional facilities) available to other students who have satisfied their tuition and fee bills to the institution.
To qualify for the provision, such students are required to:
- Produce the VA Certificate of Eligibility (COE) at the time of registration. Final deadline by the first day of class;
- Provide additional Information and/or documentation needed to properly certify the enrollment as described in other Institutional policies.
REMINDER: Students are responsible for any portion of their account balance not covered by VA educational benefits. Please follow the Barry University terms and conditions of your registration.