Distinguished Alumni Award
About the Awards
The Distinguished Alumni Award is annually given to select Barry Alums who demonstrate through their daily lives, professions and community activities the Barry Core Commitments of:
- Knowledge and Truth
Barry promotes and supports the intellectual life, emphasizing lifelong learning, growth, and development. The University pursues scholarly and critical analysis of fundamental questions of the human experience. In the pursuit of truth, the University advances development of solutions that promote the common good and a more humane and just society.
- Inclusive Community
Barry is a global, inclusive community characterized by interdependence, dignity, equality, compassion, and respect for self and others. Embracing a global world view, the University nurtures and values cultural, social and intellectual diversity, and welcomes faculty, staff, and students of all faith traditions.
- Social Justice
Barry expects all members of our community to accept social responsibility to foster peace and nonviolence, to strive for equality, to recognize the sacredness of Earth, and to engage in meaningful efforts toward social change. The University promotes social justice through teaching, research, and service.
- Collaborative Service
Barry is committed to serving local and global communities through collaboration and mutually-productive partnerships. The University accepts responsibility to engage with communities to pursue systemic, self-sustaining solutions to human, social, economic, and environmental problems.
Do you know a Barry graduate who lives a Barry life? If you feel strongly that a Barry Alum is deserving of recognition for their commitment and service, please complete the nomination form for the Distinguished Alumni Award.
- Distinguished Alumni Award recognizes Barry University alumni who are leaders in their communities and professions and actively represent the Barry University core commitments.
- Distinguished Alumni Award Fac/Staff recognizes current faculty or staff members of Barry University who demonstrate Barry’s core commitments to the community at large.
- Rising Star Awards are for Young Alumni, who are under 35 years of age and becoming more active in their communities/careers are consistently demonstrating Barry’s core commitments.
- The nominated individual must be a Barry University graduate.
- Previous DAA/Rising Star winners may not be nominated again.
- All nominations must be electronically submitted by the specified deadline. Only applications submitted electronically via the Barry University DAA nomination webpage will be accepted.
- Nominations submitted via email, postal mail or hand delivered are not eligible.
- Nominators may submit as many nominees as desired.
- Nominees may be submitted as a team on one Nomination form.
Review & Notification Process
- All nominations go through an extensive review process by the Barry University DAA Committee, consisting of members of the Alumni Board of Directors and Barry University faculty and staff members.
- If a nominee is selected as a finalist, the nominator and the nominee will be notified by mail, email and by telephone.
Contact Monique M. Armbrister ’89, Director for Alumni Relations at 305-899-3175 or email@example.com.