Here is a hurricane preparedness checklist (you will need Microsoft Word to view it) prepared by the School of Human Performance and Leisure Sciences that you can use as a guideline to preparing your school or department's own checklist. Thanks to Maritza Ryder for providing it to us!
Upon notification of a HURRICANE WATCH status, all employees should:
- Protect books, valuable papers and equipment by covering with plastic sheeting or garbage bags and masking tape which can be obtained from the Physical Plant Office. It is not necessary to tape office or classroom windows.
- Where necessary and possible, move desks, file cabinets, etc., away from windows and doors. C
- close and latch all windows and doors.
- Turn off and disconnect all electrical equipment, including lights, copiers, computers, air conditioners, etc.
- Clear all laboratory tables and areas of all possible apparatus and glassware, and place the items in a protected location.
- Perform backup operations on all computer hard drives, and store backup media in a waterproof container.
- The department supervisor might also take a duplicate set of backup media home.
- Remove pictures, etc. from walls and cover with plastic sheeting.
- Take home phone numbers of your supervisor (and others in your department) home with you.
- Plan to call your supervisor as soon as possible to report your status.
- Take personal property home or cover it to prevent damage or loss.
- The University is not responsible for the loss of personal property.