Living Healthy


Possession, service, use or consumption of alcohol by individuals under the legal drinking age is prohibited. Students under age 21 are not permitted to have or consume alcohol in university housing or on adjoining property outside the buildings; this includes parking lots and grounds surrounding the University Housing areas and recreational areas.
(See Barry University Student Handbook for the University Alcohol Policy).

  • Students who display intoxicated behavior or who require assistance due to consumption of alcohol are subject to disciplinary action.
  • In accordance with Barry University's Alcohol policy, only residents of legal age may consume alcohol in their assigned room.
  • Students who are 21 years old and older may consume or be in possession of alcohol in their assigned room but not in the presence of anyone below the legal drinking age. Amount must not be more than that for personal consumption (six pack of beer, quart of liquor, bottle of wine)
  • Beer kegs, party balls, funnels and large containers are not permitted in or around University Housing.
  • Alcoholic beverages may not be sold, served or otherwise distributed to minors.
  • Possession of open containers of alcohol or consumption of alcoholic beverages in public areas, such as walkways, balconies, grounds areas, parking lots or loading zones adjacent to University Housing is prohibited.
  • Social gatherings at which alcohol is served must be conducted in accordance with the Barry University Alcohol Policy. University Housing staff may make the determination that a gathering exceeds safe occupancy and may require some or all guests or non-residents to vacate a University Housing area.
  • Any University official has the right to request appropriate student identification when questioning an individual's age for alcohol consumption purposes.
  • Collections of empty beer or alcohol bottles or cans are not permitted. Pyramids or displays of empty beverage containers, alcohol-related paraphernalia (including, but not limited to, funnels, tubes, kegerators and keg taps,) alcohol-related signs/posters and/or alcohol-related advertising, logos or promotion are prohibited in all university housing units.

Students found responsible for violations of the alcohol policy may be issued a series of minimum sanctions including Parental Notification, Community Service, Alcohol 101, University Warning, Probation, or Termination of Housing Contract.


Residents are expected to maintain their assigned spaces in a clean and sanitary manner. Trash is to be placed, by the resident, in designated bins, or dumpsters. Garbage may not be left in hallways, entrance-ways, stairwells, trash rooms, apartment/room, or on balconies and patios. If this occurs, the resident will be charged a removal fee. Responsibility for cleanliness of the assigned spaces is shared by all residents assigned to the unit. If trash is left outside a unit, the residents of that unit will be billed a removal fee.

Controlled Substances/ Drugs /Drug Paraphernalia

In accordance with state law, the possession, manufacturing, growth, sale or use of illegal drugs is prohibited. The sale and distribution of prescription drugs is also prohibited. Possession of drug-related paraphernalia (including, but not limited to, hookahs, water pipes and bongs) and/or drug-related signs/posters and/or drug-related artwork, advertising or promotion are prohibited in all university housing units. Possession, use, delivery, sale, and distribution of controlled substances or drug paraphernalia are prohibited. Violations of the University drug policy may result in the notification of local authorities, and generally, immediate removal from University Housing and disciplinary charges by the Dean of Students.

Drug Convictions and Ineligibility for Federal Financial Aid

Students who were convicted of possessing or selling illegal drugs (not including alcohol and tobacco) during a period of higher education enrollment for which they were receiving federal student aid (grants, loans, and/or work-study) will lose eligibility for federal student aid. (Excluding convictions that have been removed from their record and convictions that occurred before the student turned 18, unless they were tried as an adult.

The chart below illustrates the period of ineligibility for Federal Student Aid funds, depending on whether the conviction was for sale or possession and whether the student had previous offenses. (A conviction for sale of drugs includes convictions for conspiring to sell drugs.)

Possession of Illegal drugs.Sale of illegal drugs
1st Offense1 year from date of conviction2 years from date of conviction
2nd Offense2 years from date of convictionIndefinite Period
3+ OffenseIndefinite PeriodIndefinite Period

If the student was convicted of both possessing and selling illegal drugs, and the periods of ineligibility are different, the student will be ineligible for the longer period.

Regaining Eligibility

A student regains eligibility the day after the period of ineligibility ends or when he successfully completes a qualified drug rehabilitation program. Further drug convictions will make him ineligible again.

Students denied eligibility for an indefinite period can regain it only after successfully completing a rehabilitation program as described below or if a conviction is reversed, set aside, or removed from the student's record so that fewer than two convictions for sale or three convictions for possession remain on the record. In such cases, the nature and dates of the remaining convictions will determine when the student regains eligibility.

Standards for a qualified drug rehabilitation program

A qualified drug rehabilitation program must include at least two unannounced drug tests and must satisfy at least one of the following requirements:

  • Be qualified to receive funds directly or indirectly from a federal, state, or local government program.
  • Be qualified to receive payment directly or indirectly from a federally or state-licensed insurance company.
  • Be administered or recognized by a federal, state, or local government agency or court.
  • Be administered or recognized by a federally or state-licensed hospital, health clinic, or medical doctor.

Communicable Diseases

Residents who contract a communicable disease and are deemed infectious by the Student Health Services or a health care provider will be required to abide by all medical recommendations in conjunction with self disclosure of information to roommates and or suitemates. Failure to comply with this policy will result in disciplinary action. There may be need for the Department of Housing and Residence Life staff or designee to enter the unit in order to provide cleaning of space and charges may be assessed.

Health and Safety Inspections

The University reserves the right to enter any suite or apartment at reasonable times to inspect, maintain, and repair the premises and furnishings. University Housing staff inspect units on a monthly basis for necessary repairs, cleanliness, policy compliance and safety guidelines. These Health and Safety Inspections will be announced at least twenty-four hours in advance through public posting. Each resident is expected to have read the Guidebook for information regarding items which are permitted in each unit. All electrical appliances and cords in use in a unit must not overload the circuit. Residential Life page 15

During an inspection any items found which violate a University Housing policy or otherwise pose a safety violation or risk, will be removed by University Housing or other University officials. Examples of policy violations may include, but are not limited to: candles and other open flame violations, halogen lamps, cable television splicing, unauthorized electrical appliances and pets. Items which violate a policy may be returned after the owner of the items checks out of University Housing.

Infectious Pests

Residents may not bring any animals other than fish into University Housing. Should there be a need for the Department of Housing and Residence Life staff to enter the unit in order to provide pest control or cleaning, and it is determined to be due to the action of a resident, charges may be assessed. If you notice ants or other pests in your living area, please submit a work order at the Department of Housing and Residence Life office. Pest Control is present on campus on specific days to complete work orders. In addition, Pest Control conducts spraying in student rooms on a regular basis and may enter all living areas without notice.

Noxious Odors

Causing noxious odors (e.g. drugs, incense, cigarettes, clove cigarette, candles, trash buildup, etc.) is prohibited.


All university housing facilities are designated as non-smoking areas, in compliance with the Florida Clean Indoor Act. All residents and guests who wish to smoke tobacco must do so at least 20 feet away from any building including overhangs, balconies, stairways and entranceways. Barry University implements this "No Smoking" policy: No public area or work area controlled by the university will be a smoking area, including, but not limited to, private offices, classrooms, academic buildings, meeting rooms, lobbies, restrooms, stairwells, and break rooms.