International Student Admission

International credentials from an educational system other than the United States must be evaluated by a foreign credential evaluator who is a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES). The evaluation must be “course-by-course with GPA,” and should be sent directly from the evaluating agency to Barry University. For a list of NACES members, please visit

Applicants who do not give evidence of being native English speakers, including those applying for transfer from U.S. institutions, or who have not graduated from an institution where English is the primary language of instruction must submit an IELTS or TOEFL score. If you submit the IELTS results, Barry University requires a band score of 6.5 or higher.

There are two versions of the TOEFL:

  • The paper-based test score ranges from 310 to 677. Barry University requires 550 at the graduate level.
  • The Internet-based test (iBT) score ranges from 0 to 120. Barry University requires require 79 at the graduate level.

The minimum acceptable score may be higher for some programs. The IELTS/TOEFL requirement may be waived for applicants with a minimum of 24 college-level academic credits earned from an institution in which English is the basis of instruction and classroom interaction. Once you have been accepted, you will need to follow the procedures below:

F-1 Student Visa

Most international students coming to the United States will be required to obtain an F-1 Student Visa. The visa is issued by the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in your country of citizenship. You will need the Form I-20A provided by Barry University in order to apply for the student visa.

Certificate of Eligibility (Form I-20A)

The I-20A form allows you to apply for your student visa. In order to obtain the I-20A, you must be admitted to the university. Furthermore, the United States Federal Government requires that international students prove that they have sufficient funds to live and study in the United States. This is not a requirement for admission to Barry University, but is a requirement in order to receive the I-20A, enter the country, and enroll in the University.

If you are admitted to Barry University and need the F-1 Student Visa, you will be required to submit the following documents before the I-20A can be issued. Documents must be dated no earlier than six months before your first day of class. (For example, if your classes begin on August 25, 2008, your documents must be dated February 25, 2008, or later.) You may submit these documents before an admission decision has been made; this may expedite the visa process, but your I-20A cannot be issued until you are admitted.

Requirement 1: Financial Statement

You may submit either a bank letter or a government / institution letter for your financial statement.

Bank Letter

You may submit a bank letter addressed to Barry University stating that you or your sponsor have the funds available to pay the total cost associated with attending Barry University for one year (see sample below). The required amount will be included in your admission letter if you are accepted, or you may contact the Office of Graduate Admissions before you are admitted. This amount will be reduced for applicants who are awarded scholarships.

As an international student, you should be familiar with the regulations of your government regarding sending money to the United States and you should make arrangements to have the necessary funds available at the designated times of enrollment. Documentary evidence of a means of financial support must be attached to the Certificate of Eligibility (I-20A) when applying for the student visa at the United States Embassy or Consular Office.