Preparing you for a wide range of careers and graduate study, the Physical Sciences department offers a Bachelor of Science degree in Chemistry, a Bachelor of Science degree in Chemistry with a specialization in Biochemistry, and programs for students interested in Pre-medical, Pre-dental, Pre-pharmacy, and Pre-veterinary specializations.
Through our programs, you'll gain knowledge and training in the four subdisciplines of chemistry: organic, inorganic, analytical, and physical. You'll also enjoy access to our high-tech labs, learning proper lab techniques, instrumentation operation, chemical waste disposal/lab safety, ethics, professional communication, and data analysis.
Why You'll Love Our Program
- Direct faculty mentorship
- Opportunities to conduct, co-author, and present research alongside accomplished faculty
- Service-learning and community outreach
- Social and professional networking events
- High-tech, pristine labs
Annual STEM Symposium
Alongside your fellow STEM students, this annual event is your time to shine by presenting your research to the greater Barry community and beyond!
By the Numbers: Student Accomplishments
- 70% of our students earn acceptance to graduate or professional school.
- Since 2006, 40 physics and chemistry undergraduate students have co-authored faculty papers published in peer-reviewed scientific journals.
- Since 2006, 197 research presentations were conducted at national (44%), international (3%), and state or local (53%) science conferences by 74 undergraduate chemistry or physics research students.
Since 2008, 36 students participated in 47 externally funded summer research internships at Barry (28%) or other institutions throughout the nation (79%), including: Cornell University, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, Vanderbilt Center for Neuroscience and Drug Discovery, University of Cambridge, University of California, Brown University, University of Nebraska, University of Miami, and many others.