International students may be admitted to Barry University if they meet the University's admission requirements. The responsibility for obtaining all admission credentials rests with the applicant.
Permanent Resident Status
When a student has permanent resident status, the Alien Registration Receipt Card ("green card") must be presented to the Office of Admissions with the application.
You must submit a TOEFL/IELTS examination score if your university/college degree is from an institution in which English is not the language of instruction.
There are two versions of the TOEFL:
- The paper-based test score ranges from 310 to 677. Barry University requires 550 at the graduate level.
- The Internet-based test (iBT) score ranges from 0 to 120. Barry University requires require 79 at the graduate level.
- Barry University requires a 6.5 on the IELTS.
Please note: The minimum acceptable score is higher for the Physician Assistant Program. For more information, see the "Application Procedures for International Students" section of the graduate catalog.
Certification of Eligibility (Form I-20A)
Once you have been accepted for admission to Barry University , a financial statement must be submitted in order to obtain the U.S. Department of Justice, Immigration and Naturalization Service Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (F-1) Student Status (Form I-20A). There are two types of financial statements:
- A bank letter addressed to Barry University stating that you or your sponsor have the funds available to pay the total cost associated with attending Barry University for one year (see sample below). The University determines the required amount.
- Government or institution-sponsored international students must submit a government sponsorship letter or a notarized letter of support guaranteeing payment of tuition and fees, books, room and board, medical insurance, and personal expenses for one academic year (two semesters).
As an international student, you should be familiar with the regulations of your government regarding sending money to the United States and you should make arrangements to have the necessary funds available at the designated times of enrollment. Documentary evidence of a means of financial support must be attached to the Certificate of Eligibility (I-20A) when applying for the student visa at the United States Embassy or Consular Office.
Sample Bank Letter
[On Bank Letterhead]
Recruitment and Admissions
11300 NE 2nd Avenue
Miami Shores , FL 33161-6695
[Mr. John Smith] has $XX,XXX [exact amount will be provided in your acceptance letter] U.S. Dollars available in his account to pay for the cost associated with [his daughter, Jane Smith]'s attendance at Barry University.
The letter must express:
- The name of the person/account holder that is supporting the expense for attending Barry University.
- The name of the student.
- The Office of Admissions will be able to provide you with the exact amount required in your acceptance letter. This amount will be reduced for applicants who are awarded scholarships.