About the Program
Program Description & Learning Outcomes
The Andreas School of Business at Barry University offers a Master of Public Administration (MPA) degree program.
The MPA Program at Barry University focuses on research and scholarship in the public and nonprofit sectors. Scholarship is the pursuit of knowledge and truth, which resonates with the authentic Dominican heritage of our institution. The pursuit of truth necessitates a steadfast commitment to establishing an inclusive and collaborative society working toward the public good.
Consistent with the Barry University mission, the faculty in the MPA program remains committed to the highest academic standards in graduate and professional education. The MPA curriculum focuses on the public and nonprofit sectors, and other organizations that serve a public purpose. The MPA, considered to be the terminal professional degree for practitioners in the public and nonprofit sectors, identifies and applies traditional and evolving theories and practices (Praxis) in the workplace.
Master of Public Administration (MPA) Program Learning Goals: The MPA program provides students with the theories, principles, and practices of public service, instilling in students a commitment to inclusivity, collaboration, and social justice. Upon completion of this program, students will be able to:
Apply research methods and techniques to determine organizational effectiveness
- Evaluate the effectiveness of public and nonprofit programs
- Synthesize the concepts associated with ethical behavior and social responsibility that will engage students in a meaningful effort to affect social change and promote social justice
- Evaluate the administrative and leadership theories and practices to determine effectiveness in the workplace
- Analyze the rule of law in administrative procedures, and the outcomes of public administration rulemaking
- Evaluate public planning theories and practices for substantive and equitable change
- Synthesize, analyze, and apply theories and principles of public administration
An Online MPA program is also available.
Nonprofit Administration Specialization
Students in the MPA program with interest in the nonprofit sector have an opportunity to earn a Specialization in Nonprofit Administration. As a part of the MPA program, the specialization provides the distinctive administrative skills necessary for success in nonprofit organizations, The specialization, intended for new and current Barry University graduate students, provides students with the knowledge required to advance in nonprofit organizations. The specialization offers face-to-face, hybrid, and fully online modalities
An Online MPA with a Specialization in Nonprofit Administration program is also available.