Students who wish to major in music must perform an audition to be officially accepted into the music program.
On-campus auditions will be held on the following dates:
- Friday, February 10th, 2023
- Friday February 17th, 2023
- Friday, April 1, 2023
To schedule an audition or for questions about auditions, please contact Dr. Peter Brewer at firstname.lastname@example.org or Tel: (+1) 305.899.3717. Email is the preferred mode of contact.
Audition Requirements – Vocalists (classical or jazz)
- Classical vocalists: Perform from memory a minimum of two contrasting pieces from the classical repertory. The pieces should represent varying historical style periods.
- Jazz or show music vocalists: Perform from memory a minimum of two contrasting pieces from the American songbook jazz repertory (jazz standards) or Broadway repertory. May include Latin styles such as Bossa Nova, Samba, or Afro Cuban (Latin jazz).
- Vocalists may perform repertory from both classical and jazz styles if desired.
Audition Requirements – Instrumentalists
- Scales: Major and chromatic scales, full range of instrument.
- 2 Contrasting Etudes.
- Technique: Technical study or étude from any standard method book that will demonstrate levels of technique and potential for advancement.
- Musical: Lyrical study or étude from any standard method book that will demonstrate levels of musicality.
- Repertoire: One selection with contrasting movements that demonstrate technical ability, tone quality, musicality, and sense of style. Selections may be chosen from any repertory, including but not limited to classical and jazz.