John Boulos, Ph.D.
Professor of Chemistry
Ph.D. in Organic Chemistry, Graduate School of CUNY, 1991.
M. Phil. in Organic Chemistry, Graduate School of CUNY, 1990.
BA in Chemistry, Queens College / CUNY, 1985.
Joined Barry: January 1992.
- CHE 111, CHE 111L General Chemistry and Qualitative Analysis with Lab, I
- CHE 112, CHE 112L General Chemistry and Qualitative Analysis with Lab, II
- CHE 152, CHE 152L Introduction to Organic and Biological Chemistry with Lab
- CHE 343, CHE 343L Organic Chemistry with Lab, I
- CHE 344, CHE 344L Organic Chemistry with Lab, II
- CHE 352, CHE 352L Biochemistry I with Lab
- CHE 353 Biochemistry II
- CHE 449 Advanced Spectroscopy
- CHE 356/357 Physical Chemistry I and II
- CHE 395, CHE 495 Research
- Synthesis of novel and functionally selective muscarinic agonists and antagonists for Alzheimer's, Parkinson, Schizophrenia and COPD applications.
- Alena Randáková, Dominik Nelic, Vladimír Doležal, Esam E. El-Fakahany, John Boulos, and Jan Jakubík Agonist-Specific Conformations of the M2 Muscarinic Acetylcholine Receptor Assessed by Molecular Dynamics: Journal of Chemical Information and Modeling, 2020 60 (4), 2325-2338.
- Randáková A, Nelic D, Ungerová D, Nwokoye Peter, Su Qiwen, Doležal V, El-Fakahany EE, Boulos J, Jakubík J. "Novel M2-selective, Gi-biased agonists of muscarinic acetylcholine receptors" British Journal of Pharmacology, 2020, 177(9), 2073-2089.
- Boulos J, Jakubik J, Randakova A, Boulos JM, Momirov J. Synthesis of Novel and Functionally Selective Non-competitive Muscarinic Antagonists as Chemical Probes, Chem Biol Drug Des., 91 (1), 93-104, 2018
- Issued U.S. and International Utility Patent- Bitopic muscarinic agonists and antagonists and methods of synthesis and use thereof, 2015
- Provisional U.S. Patent- Discovery and synthesis of functionally selective partial muscarinic agonists for treatment of human diseases, 2015
- Boulos J, Jakubik J, Randakova A, Avila C. Synthesis of N- Substituted Piperidine Salts as Potential Muscarinic Ligands for Alzheimer’s Applications, J. Heterocyclic. Chem., 50 (6), 1363, 2013
Selected Conference Presentations
- John F. Boulos, Jocelyn Baquier Synthesis and biological evaluation of novel long acting muscarinic antagonists, 255th American Chemical Society National Meeting, New Orleans, LA, March 18-22, 2018; 10th Annual STEM Research Symposium, Barry University, FL, April 6, 2018
- Momirov, J.; Boulos, J. Synthesis of functionally selective M1/M4 antagonist for Parkinson’s disease application SoFL-ACS Chemical Sciences Symposium; 2017 Feb 26; Nova Southeastern University, Ft. Lauderdale, FL; 9th Annual STEM Research Symposium, Barry University, FL, April 12, 2017
- Peter Nwokoye, John Boulos Thiophene-N-Substituted Tetrahydropyridinyl Salts as Functionally Selective Muscarinic Agonists 249th ACS National meeting, Denver, CO, March 22-26, 2015. 7th Annual STEM Research Symposium (winning poster), Barry University, FL, April 2015
- Hangny Dao, John Boulos, and Jan Jakubik Synthesis of bitopic muscarinic antagonists and functionally selective agonists for pharmaceutical applications 247th American Chemical Society National Meeting, Dallas, TX, March 16-20, 2014; 6th Annual STEM Research Symposium (winning poster), Barry University, FL, April 16, 2014; 2014 Florida Annual Meeting and Exposition, American Chemical Society, Innisbrook, FL, May 8-10, 2014
- Rhony F. Jean and John Boulos Synthesis of 2-thiophene-N-tetrahydropyridium methyliodide salt of muscarinic M1 and M4 ligands for psychological treatment of Schizophrenia 245th American Chemical Society National Meeting, New Orleans, LA, April 7-11, 2013; 5th Annual STEM Research Symposium, Barry University, FL, March 27, 2013
Honors / Awards
- The Apple Award, Office of Commuter Affairs, Barry University, 2003
- Outstanding Teaching Award, Barry Student Honor Society, 1995
- American Chemical Society
- Gamma Sigma Epsilon, Chemistry Honor Society
- Sigma Xi, the Scientific Research Society
Office: Wiegand 124