George H. Fisher, Ph.D.
Professor of Chemistry
Ph.D. in Organic Chemistry, University of Miami, 1972
MS in Organic Chemistry, University of Florida, 1968
BS in Chemistry, Rollins College, 1965
Joined Barry: August 1988
- CHE 152, CHE 152L Intro Organic and Biochemistry
- CHE 343, CHE 343L Organic Chemistry with Lab, I
- CHE 344, CHE 344L Organic Chemistry with Lab, II
- CHE 447 Advanced Organic Chemistry
- CHE 395, CHE 495 Research
- HPLC analysis of altered amino acids (D-Asparate) in animal and human tissues and in processed foods.
- Mechanisms of amino acid racemization and repair of damaged amino acids
- Research funded by NIH MBRS-SCORE Grants, 1991 - 2007
Recent Research Publications
- G. F. Fisher. Fish is Brain Food, published online for American Chemical Society’s Chemists Celebrate Earth Week, Feb. 2018, https://www.acs.org/content/acs/en/education/outreach/ccew/community-event.html
- A. D'Aniello, L. Luongo, R. Romano, M. Iannotta, I Marabese, S. Boccella, C. Belardo, V. de Novellis, C. Arra, A. Barbieri, B. D'Aniello, L. Migliozzi, G. Fisher, S. Minucci, M. Venditti, A. Pannaccione, R. Ciccone, F. Guida, S. Maione. D-Aspartic acid ameliorates painful and neuropsychiatric changes and reduces β-amyloid Aβ1-42 peptide in a long lasting model of neuropathic pain. Neurosci. Letts. 651:151-158, 2017.
- George Fisher. Chemistry of Honey – Why Honey Doesn't Spoil, published in "Celebrating Chemistry – 2017 CCED" edition, page 3, April 2017.
- George Fisher. Mold, Mildew and Dampness in Your Home, published in "Celebrating Chemistry – 2016 CCED" edition, page 11, April 2016.
- George Fisher. Role of Chapter Faculty Advisors: Advice for Advisors. Published in Building and Maintaining Award-Winning AC Student Members Chapters, Vol. 2, Specific Program Areas, M.J. May and M.A. Benvenuto, eds., ACS Symposium Series, Oct. 2016, Chapter 1, pp 1-6.
- George Fisher. Climate Science: More Than Just a Weather Report, published in "Celebrating Chemistry – 2015 CCED" edition, page 2, April 2015.
- George Fisher. Collecting Particles from Air, published in "Celebrating Chemistry – 2015 CCED" edition, page 8, April 2015.
Recent Conference Presentations:
- Lilyveth Mesa, Eva Paulus, Diana Cordero, Nirva Maxi, Chrisorden Joseph, Dr. George Fisher, and Dr. Tamara Hamilton, Barry University Chemistry Club: Fostering an inclusive Scientific Community and Improving Science Outreach Every Day!, presented at the 255th ACS national meeting, New Orleans, LA, March 19, 2018.
- Ramon Gutierrez, Ayelet Delascagigas, Travis Comnick, and George Fisher. Analysis and quantification of D-aspartic acid in marine bivalve mollusks. Presented at the 249th ACS national meeting, Denver, CO, March 23, 2015.
- Ramon Gutierrez, Ayelet Delascagigas, Travis Comnick, and George Fisher. Analysis and quantification of D-aspartic acid in marine bivalve mollusks. Presented at 7th Annual STEM Research Symposium, Barry University, April 1, 2015.
- Peter Nwokoye, Hangny Dao, Victoria Hoelscher, Qiwen Su, Heather Silverstein, Dr. George Fisher, Dr. Tamara Hamilton. Barry University Chemistry Club: Celebrating Twenty Years of Excellence! Presented at the 249th ACS national meeting, Denver, CO, March 23, 2015.
- Heather Silverstein, Victoria Hoelscher, Qiwen Su, Diana Cordero, Dr. George Fisher, Dr. Tamara Hamilton, Barry University Chemistry Club: Service, Seminars, and Socials!. Presented at the 251st ACS national meeting, San Diego, CA, March 14, 2016.
- Eva Paulus, Diana Cordero Dumit, Nirva Maxi, Ramon Gutierrez, Tamara D. Hamilton, and George H. Fisher, Barry University Chemistry Club, Sharing our Passion for Chemistry. Presented at the 253rd ACS national meeting, San Francisco, CA, April 3, 2017.
Honors / Awards
- Excellence in Teaching award, Barry University, November 2016
2016 ACS Local Section Outreach Volunteer of the Year Award for the South Florida Local Section
- American Chemical Society national award for “Encouraging Disadvantaged Students to Enter Careers in the Chemical Sciences”, 2013.
- Outstanding Faculty Member Award, 2002
- Barry University Presidential Faculty Scholar Award, 1998 and 2006
- American Chemical Society "Southern Chemist Award", 1995
- Distinguished Service Award, South Florida Section, American Chemical Society, 1991
- American Chemical Society
- Florida Academy of Sciences
- Gamma Sigma Epsilon, Chemistry Honor Society
- National Council on Undergraduate Research
- Sigma Xi, the Scientific Research Society
Office: Wiegand 128A