Tamara Hamilton, Ph.D.
Professor of Chemistry
Associate Dean for Grants and Sponsored Programs, College of Arts & Sciences
Ph.D in Chemistry, University of Iowa, 2005
B.Sc.(H) in Chemistry, Acadia University, 2001
Joined Barry: August 2008
- CHE 111, 111L General Chemistry and Qualitative Analysis with Lab, I
- CHE 112, 112L General Chemistry and Qualitative Analysis with Lab, II
- CHE 135, 135L Consumer Chemistry with Lab (Service-Learning course)
- CHE 360, 360L Inorganic Chemistry
- CHE 400 (with Dr. Giannotti) Special Topics - Solid State and Materials Science
- CHE 400 Special Topics – Advanced Inorganic Chemistry
- CHE 490 Senior Seminar (Service-Learning course)
- Mechanochemical synthesis of porphyrins
- Metal-organic polyhedra with porphyrin walls
- Supramolecular chemistry - assembling structures using non-covalent bonds
- Green chemistry - developing synthetic procedures that are more environmentally friendly
Selected Research Publications
- "Extending mechanochemical porphyrin synthesis to bulkier aromatics: tetramesitylporphyrin" Su, Q.; Hamilton, T. D. Beilstein J. Org. Chem. 2019, 15, 1149–1153. doi:10.3762/bjoc.15.111
- "Two-step Mechanochemical Synthesis of Porphyrins" Shy, H.; Mackin, P.; Orvieto, A. S.; Gharbharan, D.; Peterson, G. R.; Bampos, N.; Hamilton, T. D. Faraday Discuss. 2014, 170, 59-69.
- "Thixotropic Hydrogel Derived from a Product of an Organic Solid-State Synthesis: Properties and Densities of Metal-Organic Nanoparticles" Hamilton, T. D.; Bučar, D.-K.; Baltrusaitus, J.; Flanagan, D. R.; Li, Y.; Ghorai, S.; Tivanski, A. V.; MacGillivray, L. R. J. Am. Chem Soc. 2011, 133, 3365-3371.
- "Onion-Shell Metal-Organic Polyhedra (MOPs): A General Approach to Decorate the Exteriors of MOPs Using Principles of Supramolecular Chemistry" T. D. Hamilton, G. S. Papaefstathiou, T. Friščić, D.-K. Bučar, and L. R. MacGillivray. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2008 130, 14366-14367.
Selected Conference Presentations
- Tamara D. Hamilton Qiwen Su, and Diana Cordero "Mechanochemical Synthesis of Porphyrins with Bulky meso-substituents". Presented at the 255th ACS National Meeting, New Orleans, LA, 2018.
- Tamara D. Hamilton "Service-learning Programs for Chemistry Majors and General Education Students". Presented at the 255th ACS National Meeting, New Orleans, LA, 2018.
- Tamara D. Hamilton "In or Out? Inorganic Chemistry Curriculum at Barry University". Presented at the 252nd ACS National Meeting , Philadelphia, PA, 2016.
- Tamara D. Hamilton "Mechanochemical steps to solvent-free porphyrin synthesis". Presented at the International Chemical Congress of Pacific Basin Societies, Honolulu, Hawaii, 2015
- Tamara D. Hamilton, Paula Mackin, Hannah Shy "Two-Step Mechanochemical Synthesis of Porphyrins" Presented at Faraday Discussion 170 Mechanochemistry: from functional solids to single molecules, Montreal, Canada, 2014.
- National Science Foundation Scholarships in STEM (S-STEM)
“Supporting Graduation of Undergraduate STEM Majors Through Scholarships, Mentoring, and Activities That Develop Students' Academic and Scientific Identity.” Co-PIs: Tamara Hamilton (contact), Karen Callaghan, Zuzana Zajickova, Stephanie Bingham, Mesmin Destin (Northwestern University)
- COST Action Proposal (European Cooperation in Science and Technology)
“Mechanochemistry for Sustainable Industry”
International Partner, continuing partnership
Honors / Awards
- Service-Learning Faculty Award from the Center for Community Service Initiatives, Barry University, 2014.
- Cottrell College Science Award from the Research Corporation for Science Advancement, 2010-2013.
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada Post-Doctoral Fellowship, 2006-2007
- ACS Division of Inorganic Chemistry Young Investigator Award, Solid State Subdivision, 2005
- Margaret C. Etter Student Lecturer Award from the American Crystallographic Association, 2005
- American Chemical Society
- American Crystallographic Association
- International Union of Crystallography
Office: Wiegand 126