Pamela D. Hall, PhD
Associate Professor of Psychology
Dr. Pamela D. Hall joined the faculty of Barry University in the fall of 2009. She has been newly-appointed as Associate Dean of Graduate Studies for the College of Arts and Sciences and will continue to teach Psychology, as well. In addition to teaching, Dr. Hall is the faculty advisor for the Psychology Club. Prior to arriving at Barry University, Dr. Hall taught at Hampton University and worked as a Development Consultant for Southern Partner's Fund, a nonprofit foundation in Atlanta, Georgia. She received her PhD in Social Psychology with minors in Quantitative and Cognitive Psychology from The Ohio State University. Dr. Hall is actively involved in projects throughout south Florida involving the empowerment of children and families, particularly Haitian adolescents. She has developed and sustained service-learning partnerships with Sinai Plaza Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, Feeding South Florida, St. Mary's Cathedral School and the Haitian Youth Community Center of Florida. From 2010-2015 she implemented a summer program funded by The Children's Trust for Haitian middle and high school students called the Haitian Empowerment and Literacy Project (H.E.L.P.). The program's mission was to improve literacy and social skills development of adolescents by using Haitian culture, education, history, and different art mediums. She also engages in social justice activities to benefit Haiti.
Dr. Hall's is an active member of Barry University's Center for Community Service Initiatives (CCSI). The mission of CCSI is to foster civic engagement among students, faculty, and staff in pursuit of social justice. During the second year of the CCSI's existence, she received a yearlong appointment as a Faculty Fellow whereby she co-facilitated workshops for and assisted faculty with developing service-learning courses.
For her commitment to community engagement and social justice, Dr. Hall has received two prestigious awards from the CCSI. In 2016, she received The Engaged Scholarship Award and in 2017, she received The Service-Learning Faculty Award.
- Effects of music on the memory and comprehension
- Effects of music on youths' and emergent adults' attitudes towards women
- Role of meditation in improving memory and reducing anxiety in children and adolescents
- The benefits of service-learning on college student development
- Haitian adolescents academic, emotional, social, and spiritual development
- Haitian adult well-being
Selected Supervised Master's Theses
- Bedford, A. Haitian identity development and mental health.
- Cook, B. Parent-Adolescent Communication and its impact on Haitian adolescents' well-being.
- Delgado, N. Impact of ethnic identity on the psychological well-being of Haitian youths.
- Gilbert, J. Relationship between spiritual well-being and psychological well-being in Haitian adolescents.
- Profilo, D. A. The Relationship between personality and music preference.
- Reid, N. What is the effect of non-parental mentors on adolescents?
- Samuel, M. Relationship between resilience and well-being in Haitian adolescents.
Selected Supervised Undergraduate Research
- El-Amin, K. Psychological Effects of Acculturation amongst Caribbean College Students.
- Jackman, D. An Examination of Oppression through the Eyes of Haitian-American and African-American Male College Students.
- Maxius, P. Ethnic Identity & Acculturation of first and second-generation Haitian immigrants.
- McNeil, B. The Effects of Rap Lyrics and Rap Videos on College Students.
- Riley, S. Music and Memory.
- Desir, C., Hall, P. D., Auguste, S., Seraphin, W., & Gallagher, S. (In Press). Discovering Haitian Youth's Spiritual Epistemology through a Culturally Based Summer Program in Florida. In Les jeunes haïtiens dans les Amériques: générations, circulation transnationale, et identités // Haitian Youth in the Americas: Generations, Transnational Circulation and Identities. Quebec: The Presses de l'Université du Québec (PUQ).
- Finley, L., Schlaerth, C., Hall, P. D., Fraser-Delgado, C., Mason, T.,Rivera-Torres, K., Carioni, E., & Zaret, D. (2015). Service-learning for peace and social justice: Reflections from faculty and students. In K. Concannon & L. Finley (Eds.) Peace and social justice education on campus: Faculty and student perspectives (pp.87-112). Newcastle upon Tyne, England: Cambridge Scholars Publishing.
- Hall, P. D., & Bowen, G. A. (2015). The use of photovoice for exploring students' perspectives on themselves and others. Journal of Ethnographic & Qualitative Research, Volume 9, 196-208.
- Hall, P. D. & Rivera-Torres (2011). Student Perceptions Regarding the Benefits of Minority Faculty at Predominately White Colleges and Universities, Journal of Multicultural Education, Volume 7 (2), 1-17.
- Hall, Pamela D. (January, 1998). The Effects of Meditation on the Academic Performance of African-American College Students. Journal of Black Studies, 29, 3. 408-415.
- Hall, Pamela D. (July, 1998). The Relationship between types of Rap Music and Memory in African-American Children. Journal of Black Studies, 28, 802-814.
- Wehrle, L., Hall, P. D., Bacheller, L., & Desir, C. (May, 2017). The benefits of life orientation on the psychological well-being of Haitian adolescents. Poster presented at The 29th Annual Association of Psychological Sciences Convention, Boston, Mass.
- Bacheller, L., Hall, P. D., & Desir, C. (August, 2017). Exposure to violence and psychological well-being of Haitian American adolescents. Poster accepted for presentation at the American Psychological Association 125th Annual Conference, Washington, D.C.
- Hall, P. D., Bacheller, L., & Desir, C. (August, 2017). The benefits of spirituality in Haitian American adults and adolescents. Poster accepted for presentation at the American Psychological Association 125th Annual Conference, Washington, D.C.
- Bacheller, L. , Hall, P. D., & Desir, C. (May, 2016). The relationship between spirituality and psychological well-being in Haitian American adolescents. Poster presented at the 28th Annual Association of Psychological Sciences Convention, Chicago, Illinois.
- Hall, P. D. & Bermudez, J. (May, 2016). The effect of different genres of music on college Students' attitudes towards women. Poster presented at the 28th Annual Association of Psychological Sciences Convention, Chicago, Illinois.
- Bacheller, L., Hall, P. D., & Desir, C. (August, 2015). Psychological well-being and personality of Haitian American adults. Poster presented at the American Psychological Association 123rd Annual Conference, Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
- Hall, P. D., Bacheller, L., & Desir, C. (August, 2015). Psychological well-being and communication in Haitian families. Poster presented at the American Psychological Association 123rd Annual Conference, Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
- Hall, P. D., Simpson, A., Tio, D., & Jacobson, E. (March, 2014). Workshop presentation on Using Photovoice as a Service-Learning Reflection tool. Workshop presented at Gulf- South Summit on Service-Learning & Civic Engagement through Higher Education, Auburn, Alabama.
- Fraser-Delgado.C., Hall, P. D., Bowen, G., McCrink, C., Delpech, P. & Whitfield, H. (September 2014). Ecosystems of Engagement. Symposium presented at the International Association for Research on Service Learning and Community Engagement, (IARSLCE) Conference, New Orleans, LA.
- Hall, P. D., & Fraser-Delgado, C., (October, 2014). Focusing on Community Needs. Eastern Regional Campus Compact Conference, Jacksonville, Florida.
- Hall, P. D., Desir, C., & Lubin, N. (2013). The psychological benefits of acculturation for Haitian American adolescents. Poster presented at the American Psychological Association Annual Convention, Honolulu, Hawaii.
- Hall, P. D. (2013). Using service learning to examine college student's attitudes towards helping. Poster presented at the Southeastern Psychological Association Annual Convention, Atlanta, Georgia.
- Association of Black Psychologists
- Association of Psychological Sciences
- American Psychological Association
- Southeastern Psychological Association
- African American Psychology
- Cognitive Psychology
- Community Psychology
- Introduction to Psychology
- Psychology of Learning
- Psychology of Music
- Senior Seminar
- Social Psychology
- Community Psychology
- Master's Thesis