M. Sylvia Fernandez, PhD
Professor and Associate Dean of Clinical Practice Division
PhD in Counselor Education from Southern Illinois University-Carbondale
MS in Educational Psychology Southern Illinois University-Carbondale
BA in Psychology, BS in English Education, Southern Illinois University-Carbondale
M. Sylvia Fernandez, PhD joined the Department of Counseling in the Adrian Dominican School of Education in 2002 and holds the rank of Professor. Dr. Fernandez earned a BA in Psychology, BS in English Education, MS in Educational Psychology, and PhD in Counselor Education from Southern Illinois University-Carbondale. She is credentialed as a Licensed Professional Counselor with a Supervision Specialty License in Arkansas; a National Certified Counselor and a National Certified School Counselor by the National Board for Certified Counselors (NBCC); an Approved Clinical Supervisor by The Center for Credentialing and Education (CCE); and a Mental Health Facilitator by the NBCC-I and WHO. Dr. Fernandez has extensive service and leadership experience in state, national, and international counseling professional organizations. She has served as Chair of the Arkansas Board of Examiners in Counseling, the Board of Directors of NBCC and NBCC-International, and the CACREP Board of Directors. She also serves as the Director of the CARE Center. Dr. Fernandez's professional and research interests include multicultural issues in counseling and related disciplines, counselor education and credentialing, and clinical supervision.
- George, C. & Fernandez, M.S. (2014). A Case Study of Stepfamily's Relationship Experiences Before and After Death of a Custodial Biological Parent, The Family Journal, 22(2), 258-264.
- Fernandez, M. S. & Veshinski, S. E. (2011). Child custody and divorce assessment strategies and interventions. In L. Sperry’s (Ed.). Assessment of couples and families: Contemporary and cutting-edge strategies. 2nd edition. New York: Brunner-Routledge. [First edition in 2004]
- Fernandez, M. S. (2005). NBCC International: Promoting counseling through certification. Proceedings of the 11th International Counseling Conference, Bangkok, Thailand.
- Fernandez, M. S. & Veshinski, S. E. (2004). Child custody and divorce assessment strategies and interventions. In L. Sperry, (Ed.)., Assessment of couples and families: Contemporary and cutting-edge strategies (pp. 183-206). New York: Brunner-Routledge.
- Fernandez, M. S. (2004). Malaysia. In M. Duffy & S. Gillig (Eds.), Teen gangs: A global view (pp. 137-148). Greenwood series: A worldview of social issues.
- Fernandez, M. S. (2003). Families and children with traumatic injuries and culture. The Family Journal: Counseling and Therapy for Couples and Families, 11, 292-296.
- Fernandez, M. S., Trusty, J., & Crisswell, R. (2002). Interpersonal skills as a basis for multicultural counseling. In J. Trusty, E. J. Looby, & D. S. Sandhu, (Eds.), Multicultural counseling: Context, theory and practice, and competence (pp. 261-282). Huntington, NY: Nova Science.
- Fernandez, M. S. (2000). School violence: Implications for school counselor training programs. In D. Sandhu & C. Aspy, (Eds.), Violence in American schools: A practical guide for counselors (pp. 371-386) Alexandria, VA: American Counseling Association.
- Parity and portability: CACREP’s role in advancing the profession. Co-presenter. American Association of State Counseling Boards Annual Conference. Savannah, Georgia, January 9, 2015; American Counseling Association Annual Conference, Orlando, Florida, March 13, 2015; American Mental Health Counseling Annual Conference, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, July 10, 2015.
- Professional leadership: Role of counselor educators in shaping the future of the profession. Guest lecture virtual, Internship course, University of Oregon, Corvalis, Oregon, October 29, 2014.
- Achieving parity and portability: CACREP’s role in advancing the profession. Presentation co-author, Southern Association for Counselor Education and Supervision, Birmingham, Alabama, October 11, 2014; North Central Association for Counselor Education and Supervision, St. Louis, Missouri, October 17, 2014.
- Cultural competency training, Invited day-long workshop presenter, Healthy Start Coalition of Miami-Dade, Miami, Florida, May 22, 2014
- Clinical Rehabilitation Counseling and Criteria for Conversion. Co-presenter, American Counseling Association, Honolulu, Hawaii, March 2014.
- Inside, Outside and Beyond: Achieving the intersection of your personal and professional self, Invited co-presenter, Bahamas Teachers Union, Nassau, Bahamas, February 20, 2014.
- The CACREP-CORE affiliation: Promoting professional unity, licensure portability, and public protection. Co-presenter. American Association of State Counseling Boards. San Diego, California, January 10, 2014.
- Council on Rehabilitation Education (CORE): What’s an affiliation agreement anyway? Co-presenter. National Council on Rehabilitation Education Fall Conference. Washington, D.C., November 5, 2013.
- CACREP Myths. Co-presenter, American Mental Health Counseling Association, Washington, D.C., July 20, 2013.
- National Educational Standards for the Practice of Clinical Mental Health Counseling: A Joint Initiative of CACREP and AMHCA. Co-presenter, American Association of State Counseling Boards, New Orleans, Louisiana, January 9-11, 2013.
- Promoting Counselor Wellness. Co-presenter, American Counseling Association, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, March 2010.
- Reaffirmation and Re-Visioning Family Therapy, Invited workshop presenter, Emmaus Centre, Petaling Jaya, Malaysia, June 19, 2010.
- Fernandez, M. S. (2008, June 20-21). Understanding and working with adolescents. Invited workshop presented at Emmaus Centre, Petaling Jaya, Malaysia.
- Fernandez, M. S. (2008, June 1). Mental Health Facilitator: On-going developments. Keynote speaker at The Development of the Counseling Profession in Italy and the United States: A Bilateral Counseling Conference, Florence, Italy.
- Fernandez, M. S. (2008, April 27). Empowering families to help their children succeed academically. Keynote speaker at the Counseling in International Perspective: Global Demands and Local Needs conference, Istanbul, Turkey.
- Fernandez, M. S. & Ainbinder, D. (2007, October 11). Understanding balance in clinical supervision. Workshop presented at the Association for Counselor Education and Supervision annual conference, Columbus, Ohio.
- Fernandez, M. S. & Ainbinder, D. (2007, August 18). A model for clinical supervisors: Balance of supervisor emphasis. Workshop presented at the American Psychological Association Annual Conference, San Francisco, California.
- Fernandez, M. S. & Ainbinder, D. (2007, June 8). Balance of supervisor emphasis: The model, the mathematical application, the predictors. Workshop presented at The Third International Interdisciplinary Conference on Clinical Supervision, Amherst, New York.