Lauren Shure, PhD
Associate Professor and Program Director
PhD, Counselor Education with specialization in Mental Health Counseling, University of Florida
EdS, Marriage and Family Counseling, University of Florida
MEd, Marriage and Family Counseling, University of Florida
BS, Psychology, University of Florida
Lauren Shure joined the Counseling program in 2012. Dr. Shure holds a BS in Psychology, MSEd and EdS in Marriage and Family Counseling and PhD in Counselor Education with a specialization in Mental Health Counseling from the University of Florida. Before joining Barry University's Counseling program, she planned and coordinated research and evaluation on the PBIS Indiana Project, a statewide network of culturally responsive positive behavior intervention and support programs (CR-PBIS) in K-12 schools. She is a Licensed Mental Health Counselor in Florida and Indiana. Her professional interests include multicultural training and supervision, counselor positionality and issues of educational equity.
- Shure, L., West-Olatunji, C., & Cholewa, B. (2019). Investigating the relationship between school counselor recommendations and student cultural behavioral styles. Journal of Negro Education, 88(4), 454-466.
- Canfield, B., & Shure, L. (2018). Intercultural Family Counseling. In B. Flamez & J. Hicks
- Family therapy: Theory, skills, assessment, and application. San Diego, CA: Cognella Academic Publishing.
- West-Olatunji, C., Yoon, E., Shure, L., Pringle, R. & Adams, T. (2018). Girls and Women of Color in STEM: Navigating the Double Bind in K-12 Schools. In B. Polnick, B. Irby, & J. Ballender (Eds.), Girls and women of color in STEM: Navigating the double bind in K-12 schools. Charlotte, NC: Information Age Publishing.
- Shure, L., Ritter, S., Azziz, R., Skiba, R., Cole, C., Middelberg, L., & Sheya, A. (2015). Development of a mixed methods approach to describe and measure culturally responsive school practices and disparate disciplinary outcomes. The Online Journal of New Horizons in Education, 5(3), 23-40.
- West-Olatunji, C. Jean-Paul, N., Shure, L., Goodman, R. D., & Lewis, D. (2014). Culture-centered research and counselor efficacy. Turkish Psychological Counseling and Guidance Journal, 5, 129-137.
- West-Olatunji, C., Goodman, R. D., & Shure, L. (2011). Use of Multicultural Supervision with School Counselors to Enhance Cultural Competence. Journal of School Counseling, 9(16), 1-29. Retrieved from http://www.jsc.montana.edu/articles/v9n16.pdf
- West-Olatunji, C., Shure, L., Pringle, R., Adams, T., & Baratelli, A., Lewis, D., & Cholewa, B. (2010). School counselors’ positioning of African-American girls in low-resourced schools as math and science learners. Professional School Counseling, 13, 185-195.
- Shure, L., & Johnson, T. (2020, February). "Examining & Updating How We Teach Multiculturalism & Social Justice in Counseling." Education session at the 2nd Florida Statewide Networking Conference, Miami Shores, Florida.
- Johnson, T., & Shure, L. (2020, January). "Utilizing a Process Group to Deepen Counseling Students' Racial Identity Development." Education session at the Association of Specialists in Group Work (ASGW) Conference, Dorado, Puerto Rico.
- Flores Locke, A., & Shure, L. (2018, September). "Applying the Multicultural and Social Justice Counseling Competencies (MSJCC) to Counseling Families of LGBT Youth." Education session at the 3rd annual ALGBTIC Conference, Portland, Oregon.
- Shure, L., Yearwood, O., & Vasquez, C. (2018, March). "Youth Empowerment and Social Learning with the HTHDYDT?! Program and the Interactive videoRehearser Media Platform." Education session at the 5th annual CCSI Community Engagement Symposium, Miami Shores, Florida.
- Shure, L., & Machuca, R. (2017, March) "Exploring LGBTQ youth resilience with community partners: Bridging the research–practice gap." Symposium at the 4th annual CCSI Community Engagement Symposium, Miami Shores, Florida.
- Shure, L., & Moro, R. (2016, October). "Evaluating Counseling Training and Services: A Research Model." Education session at the Southern Association for Counselor Education and Supervision (SACES) Conference, New Orleans, Louisiana.
- Machuca, R., & Shure, L. (2016, October). "Fostering Resilience Among LGBT Youth." Education session at the 2nd annual ALGBTIC Conference, San Antonio, Texas.