- Create admissions profile
- Check on application status
Connect with us
Graham Paul Shaw, Ph.D.
Professor of Biochemistry
- Ph.D., Aston University, Birmingham, England
- Certificate of Teaching in Higher Education (University of North London).
- First Class Honors Degree, Applied Biological Sciences, Bristol Polytechnic.
Prior Teaching Experience
- Professor of Biochemistry, School of Podiatric Medicine, Barry University, Miami Shores, Florida. 2011 - present.
- Professor of Biochemistry, College of Health Sciences, Barry University, Miami Shores, Florida. 2008 – 2011.
- Associate Professor of Biochemistry, Barry University, Miami Shores, Florida, 2002 – 2008.
- Associate Professor of Biochemistry, The California College of Podiatric Medicine, 1999 – 2002.
- Senior Lecturer. School of Health & Sports Sciences, University of North London, 1991 – 1999.
- Lecturer. School of Life Sciences, University of North London, 1989 –1991.
- Postdoctoral Research Assistant. Department of Pharmacy, Aston University, 1987 - 1989.
- 2007, 2005, 2004, 2003: Barry University Faculty Award for Outstanding Scholarship
Recent Books / Notes, Published Papers, and Presentations
- Shaw. G.P. Biochemistry for Health Professionals. John Wiley & Sons, Inc.: 2004.
- Shaw. G.P. (2004). Notes to accompany Biochemistry for Health Professionals. John Wiley & Sons, Inc.: 2004.
- Shaw. G.P. Biochemistry for Health Professionals, Second Edition. John Wiley & Sons, Inc: 2009.
- Shaw, G.P. (2009). "The changing role of faculty," C. Howard, J. Boetcher, L. Justice, K. Schenk, G. Berg and P. Rogers (Eds.), The Encyclopedia of Distance Education. 2nd Edn. Hershey, PA. The Idea Group Reference.
Refereed Research Publications
- Shaw, G.P. (2009). The changing role of faculty. In C. Howard, J. Boetcher, L. Justice, K. Schenk, G. Berg and P. Rogers (Eds.), The Encyclopedia of Distance Education. 2nd Edn. Hershey, PA. The Idea Group Reference.
- Highlander, P. and Shaw, G.P. (2010). Current pharmacotherapeutic concepts for the treatment of cardiovascular disease in diabetics. Therapeutic Advances in Cardiovascular Disease. 4: 43-54.
- Velis, E., Shaw, G.P., and Whiteman, A.S. (2010). Victim’s profile analysis reveals homicide affinity for minorities and the youth. Journal of Injury and Violence Research. 2 (2): 67 – 74.
- Shaw, G.P., and Molnar, D. (2011). Non-native English language speakers benefit most from the use of lecture capture in medical school. Biochemistry & Molecular Biology Education. 39 (6): 416 - 420
- Sesodia, S., Molnar, D. and Shaw, G.P. (2012). Can we predict 4 - year graduation in Podiatric Medical School using admission data? Journal of the American Podiatric Medical Association. Accepted for publication.
- Shaw, G.P. and Molnar, D. (2012). Articulate lecture capture improves learning for non native English language speakers. Proceedings of the EduLearn12 Conference. Barcelona, Spain July 2nd – 4th. Pp 2650 – 2655. ISBN 978-84-695-3491-1.
- Shaw, G.P., Velis, E. and Molnar D. (2012). Can we predict Podiatric Medical School GPA using an admission screen? Journal of the American Podiatric Medical Association. Accepted for publication.
- Shaw, G.P. (2013). Measuring teaching effectiveness or not. Journal of the American Podiatric Medical Association. Accepted for publication.
- Riedel, A.E., Thetford, W.H., Shaw. G.P. (2007). Innovations in Medical Education. Annals of Behavioral Sciences and Medical Education. 13 (1): 16 – 19.
- Shaw, G.P. (2005). The changing role of faculty. In C. Howard, J. Boetcher, L. Justice, K. Schenk, G. Berg and P. Rogers (Eds.), The Encyclopedia of Distance Education. Hershey, PA. The Idea Group Reference.
- Morewitz, S., Shaw, G.P., Clark, J.R. and Mullins, S. (2005) Podiatric Medical Students' Evaluation of a Computerized Student-Patient Encounter Log System. Journal of the American Podiatric Medical Association. 95: 556-563.
- Morewitz, S. Shaw, G.P., Clark, J., Mullins, S. (2004). A survey of podiatric students' computer literacy. Journal of the American Podiatric Medical Association. 94, 375 - 381.
- Morewitz, S.J, and Shaw, G.P. (2003). Behavioural sciences training applications of a computerized student-patient encounter log system. Annals of Behavioural Science and Medical Education. Vol. 9 (2). 82 - 86.
- Shaw, G.P., Clark, J., Morewitz, S. (2003). Implementation of computerized student-patient logs in Podiatric education. Journal of the American Podiatric Medical Association. 93, 150 - 156.
- Oliver, M. and Shaw, G.P. (2003). Asynchronous discussion in support of medical education. Journal of Asynchronous Learning Networks. 7 (1). 56 – 67. http://www.aln.org/publications/jaln/v7n1/v7n1_oliver.asp
- Lewis, D.A. and Shaw, G.P. (2000). A natural flavonoid and synthetic analogues protect the gastric mucosa from aspirin - induced erosions. J. Nutritional Biochemistry. 12 (2), 95 – 100.
- Shaw, G.P. and Pieter, W. (2000). The Use Of Asynchronous Learning Networks In Nutrition Education: Student attitude, experiences and performance. Journal of Asynchronous Learning Networks 4, Issue 1.
- Shaw, G.P. and Marlow, N. (2000). The role of student learning styles, gender, attitudes and perceptions on information & communication technology (ICT) assisted learning. Computers and Education. 33, 223 - 234.
- Sandercock, G.R.H. and Shaw, G.P. (1999). Learner's performance and evaluation of attitudes towards Web CT in the delivery of an Applied Sports Science module. J. Asynchronous Learning Networks magazine. 3 (issue 2).
- Lewis, D.A., Fields, W.N. and Shaw, G.P. (1999). A natural flavonoid present in unripe plantain banana pulp (Musa species) protects the gastric mucosa from aspirin-induced erosions. J. Ethnopharmacology. 65, 283 - 288.
- Mirshahi, F., Fowler, G., Patel, A. and Shaw, G.P. (1998). Omeprazole may exert both a bacteriostatic and a bacteriocidal effect on the growth of Helicobacter pylori in vitro. J. Clin. Pathol. 51, 220 - 224.
Peer Reviewed Abstracts & Poster Presentations at National Conferences
- St. Clair, S., Shaw, G.P, Hu, X. (2011). p15, p16 and p21 are not required for TGF-b-induced inhibition of human myeloid leukemia cells. Presented at the 1st Annual Florida Statewide Student Symposium: Excellence in undergraduate Research. Jacksonville, FL. March 4 – 5th.
- Toro, A., Guardia, T., Baddaloo, R., St Clair, S., Shaw, G.P., Hu, X. (2012). A puzzle in TGFβ-mediated cdk activity in human myeloid leukemia cells. Presented at the Florida Undergraduate Research Conference. Stetson University, DeLand, FL. March 16-17,
- Shaw, G.P., Morewitz, S.J., Tata, S., (2008). Income and Gender Differences in Feelings of Hopelessness and Toe Pain/Stiffness among Persons of Hispanic Origin: A Population-Based Study. To be presented at the Academy of Psychomotor medicine 55th Annual Meeting; Miami 19th – 22nd November.
- Morewitz, S.J., Shaw, G.P. (2007). African-American/White and gender differences in arthritis impairment; A population based study. Presented at the OARSI World Congress on Osteoarthritis Conference in Ft. Lauderdale, FL. Dec 6 – 9.
- Morewitz, S.J., Clark, J.R., Trathen, E., Shaw, G.P., Matheny, T.F. (2007). Complex Regional Pain Syndrome-I of the Lower Extremity: Diagnosis and Treatment in Podiatric Medical Student Training Sites. Presented at the Annual Scientific Meeting of the American Podiatric Medical Association, August 16th – 19th Philadelphia, PA.
- Morewitz, S.J., Tata, S., Shaw, G.P. (2007). Age and gender differences in hypertension and toe pain among insulin-dependent diabetics. Presented at the Inter-American Society of Hypertension in Miami FL May 8th 2007.
- Shaw, G.P., Redway, F., Frei, J.K. (2007). Running a school-wide undergraduate research office. Presented at the 21st National Conference on Undergraduate Research (NCUR®), April 12-14, 2007, San Raphael, CA.
- Shaw, G.P., Redway, F., Frei, J.K. (2006). Helping underrepresented minority students succeed in foundation courses with an intensive tutoring initiative can help them master advanced level science courses. Presented at the SACSCOC Annual Meeting, December 2006, Orlando, FL.
- Shaw, G.P., Morewitz, S., Clark, J., Matheny, T. (2005). Complex Regional Pain Syndrome-I of the Lower Extremity in Patients with Diabetes Mellitus. Presented at the 86th Annual Meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, Pacific Division, Ashland, Or. June 12-16, 2005.
- Shaw, G.P. and Morewitz, S. (2004). Implementation of a computerized student-patient log system for diabetes medical education. Presented at the 4th Annual Diabetes Technology meeting in October 2004.
- Shaw, G.P. and Morewitz, S. (2002). Gender differences and African-American/White differences in the association of birth weight and diabetes in children and adolescents. Diabetes, 51 (supp 2) #2535. Presented at the 62nd meeting of The American Diabetes Association, San Francisco. June 14th – 18th.
- Shaw, G.P. and Morewitz, S. (2002). Age differences and toe pain among insulin-dependent diabetics. Diabetes, 51 (supp 2) #2090. Presented at the 62nd meeting of The American Diabetes Association, San Francisco. June 14th – 18th.
- Risley, P., Matewele, P. and Shaw, G.P (1999). Protease activity of Helicobacter pylori not effected by Omeprazole. Soc. Gen. Microbiol. proceedings of 142nd meeting abstracts. p6. Presented at Warwick University, UK 5 – 7th January.
- Shaw, G.P., Kele - Malete, M.C. and Obasanjo, M.K. (1998). Variation in Superoxide dismutase between strains of Helicobacter pylori. Soc. Gen. Microbiol. proceedings of 141st meeting abstracts. p24. Presented at the University of East Anglia, UK. 8 – 10th September.
Invited Lecture Presentations
- Shaw, G.P., Morewitz, S.J., Clark, J.R. The Use of Computerized Logs in Tracking Student-Patient Interactions. Presented at the Florida Summit on Health Sciences Education (April 10 – 12th 2008). Orlando, FL.
- Morewitz, S.J., Tata, S., Shaw, G.P., Trathen, E. Age, racial, and gender differences in diabetes mellitus-related impairment and ankle pain and stiffness: A population-based study. Presented at the Podiatric Health Section of the American Public Health Association 135th Annual Meeting & Exposition (November 3-7th, 2007). Washington, DC.
- Shaw, G.P., Morewitz, S.J., Clark, J.R. (2003). The use of ALN in tracking student-patient interactions during clinical rotations at geographically dispersed locations". Presented at the 9th Annual Sloan-C International Conference focusing on Implications for Teaching and Learning, (November 14-16, 2003). Orlando, FL.
- The University of North London. (March 1999). The use of on-line teaching in sports science and nutrition.
- Reading University. December. Does the use of on-line technology in teaching and learning really work? (1999)
- Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine. Signal transduction mechanisms. (May 2000)
Expert Review Panel Membership
- Medical Education Online (2002 – present).
- ALT-J, the international peer-reviewed journal of the Association of Learning Technology, 2002 - 2007.
- Journal of the American Podiatric Medical Association (2005 – present).
- The Society for General Microbiology
- The British Society for Gastroenterology
- Sigma Xi Research Society
Oh oh ....