The mission of the Women in Leadership Initiative is to serve as a mini-empowerment conference that addresses developmental, social, cultural, economic and political challenges that women experience through an interactive experience. This leadership initiative is created to inspire, empower, motivate, encourage, educate, uplift, and develop women of innovation and change. The objective of this program is to expose the young women of Barry University's campus to the essence of finer womanhood and embracing one’s self as a woman by attending to the holistic experiences of being a woman in today’s society.
Schedule of Events
Monday, March 24, 2014
- Empowerment & Resilience Art Display and Beauty Secret Video: Be a part of making a statement of what beauty means to you! Participants can lend their creativity to an interactive art mural and beauty video campaign! 11:00am- 2:00pm, Landon Student Union Atrium
- Love Your Selfie: Share your “being fully you” Selfie on Twitter or Instagram using #LoveYourSelfieBarryU. 11am- 2:00pm, Landon Student Union Atrium.
- Women’s Power Lunch: As the job market becomes increasingly competitive, proper business etiquette skills are not only important, but necessary. More often, business is being conducted during lunches, receptions and formal dinners. Increase your marketability by demonstrating good manners and appropriate dining etiquette in a fun, non-threatening environment while enjoying free 3- course lunch! All participants must RSVP to Rfirth@barry.edu by Friday, March 21, 2014 by 8:00pm. Event will be held at 12:00pm-1:00pm, Landon Student Union, Events Room.
- Zumba: Are ready to party yourself into shape? Come to have a fun workout experience with facilitated by the renowned party enthusiast and certified Zumba® Instructor, Greta Moncayo! 6:00pm, Landon Student Union Courtyard.
- Real Talk!- Panel of Alumni and Students will share their views on relationships, image, and social media. 7:30pm-9:30pm, Landon Student Union, Events Room.
Tuesday, March 25, 2014
- Empowerment & Resilience Art Display and Beauty Secret Video: 11:00am- 2:00pm, Landon Student Union Atrium.
- “Operation Beautiful”: Caitlin Boyle is the creator of the Operation Beautiful movement. Their mission is to post positive messages in public places for strangers to do. These notes often encourage a more upbeat outlook or a stronger body image. Since the site started in 2009, hundreds of thousands of notes have been posted all over the world, by both genders, and by people of all walks of life. Caitlin's program discusses the history of Operation Beautiful, addresses why negative self-talk is such a big deal, and focuses on how students can begin to reframe their negative thoughts into more empowering ones. She also discusses the presentation of men and women in the media and the effect this warping of beauty has on our collective subconscious. 7:00pm, Landon Student Union, Events Room.
Wednesday, March 26, 2014
- Women’s Health and Beauty Expo-Health Over 20 vendors and stations demonstrating new and existing health and beauty products, healthy cooking demonstrations, health information, screenings, and testing, and Mindful Eating Presentation. Music, Food, Prizes, Eyebrow shaping, Make-up, Massages and much more!!!!!! 11:00am-2:00pm, Andreas 111& 112.
- Girl Rising- Documentary & Reflection: “Look into my eyes. Do you see it now? I am change.” – Amina, Afghanistan. CNN and Award-winning Documentary Group’s Girl Rising, an innovative new feature film, sends a powerful message to the world: “One girl with courage is a revolution.” Sixty six million girls around the world face tremendous obstacles in getting access to education. Education is what these girls desire most, to learn, to be students, so that they can break the barriers and create long-needed change in the world. Academy Award-nominated director Richard E. Robbins brings nine girls from different parts of the world to share their unforgettable stories as they strive beyond circumstance and overcome nearly insurmountable odds to achieve their dreams. The stories highlight the harsh reality that girls face in the world in their striving for learning and education. The stories are told with the help of celebrated writers and renowned actresses, including Meryl Streep, Cate Blanchett, and Salma Hayek. This movie is about indomitable human spirit of young girls who are rising to become powerful women and leaders to transform communities for generations and enable the power of education to change the world. 7:00pm, Landon Student Union, Events Room.
Thursday, March 27, 2014
- Empowerment & Resilience Art Display and Beauty Secret Video Campaign: 11am- 2:00pm, Landon Student Union Atrium.
- Mindful Yoga: 2:30pm, Miller Studio
- Ecumenical Prayer Service for Healing: Healing, Prayer Praise & Worship Service. 4:00pm, Landon Student Events Room.
Friday, March 28, 2014
- What Does Beauty Mean to You? Unveiling of the Empowerment Collage and Beauty Secret Video. 11:30am- 12:30pm, Landon Student Union, Events Room.
Sponsors of Women In Leadership
Division of Student Affairs, Dean of Students/ Student Advocacy Office, Department of Organizational Leadership & Learning, Health Services, Campus Recreation & Wellness (CRW) Counseling & Psychological Services, Sodexo Dining Services and the Center for Student Involvement (CSI).